New fork tubes

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: New fork tubes

Post by leggman »

When I first got the bike a few years ago I changed all the fluids, cleaned the tank and went through the carbs using randakks kit. I also CHANGED THE BELTS.
It does start and run but I had some cooling issue questions as to the integrity of the fan switch and the temp sender. I have bench tested both of those and they work fine but I discovered play in the water pump so I am saving my pennies for a new impeller and gaskets.
I am thinking the ignition needs some love but until I get the water pump fixed I am having to wait on setting the timing.
I know in very rare occasions you find a low mileage bike that just needs a carb clean and it runs like new but this is not the case.
I bought the bike cheap fully knowing what I was getting and I am prepared to spend the time and money to get it road healthy. Will it be pretty? I doubt it, but will be safe before I let my son get on it.
It is just human nature to want something for nothing and it is the fabricator in me that would spend all day making a bracket that could be purchased for five bucks.
At this point in my life (just turned 60) I find myself unemployed (not my fault) and going back to school for two years so I have some free time to do what I really like to do and that is working on motorcycles.
My son (26) wants the bike and I have no problem with that but we are having a hard time finding a direction to take it.
I think he wants a cafe bike but to me a 600 pound cafe bike is pointless.
We will eventually settle on a style and I am sure that soon we will have a nice bike that is monetarily worth about half what we put into it. You can't put a dollar amount on fun and memories with your kids are priceless.
Sorry for the rant.
Dave
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

leggman wrote:When I first got the bike a few years ago I changed all the fluids, cleaned the tank and went through the carbs using randakks kit. I also CHANGED THE BELTS.
It does start and run but I had some cooling issue questions as to the integrity of the fan switch and the temp sender. I have bench tested both of those and they work fine but I discovered play in the water pump so I am saving my pennies for a new impeller and gaskets.
I am thinking the ignition needs some love but until I get the water pump fixed I am having to wait on setting the timing.
I know in very rare occasions you find a low mileage bike that just needs a carb clean and it runs like new but this is not the case.
I bought the bike cheap fully knowing what I was getting and I am prepared to spend the time and money to get it road healthy. Will it be pretty? I doubt it, but will be safe before I let my son get on it.
It is just human nature to want something for nothing and it is the fabricator in me that would spend all day making a bracket that could be purchased for five bucks.
At this point in my life (just turned 60) I find myself unemployed (not my fault) and going back to school for two years so I have some free time to do what I really like to do and that is working on motorcycles.
My son (26) wants the bike and I have no problem with that but we are having a hard time finding a direction to take it.
I think he wants a cafe bike but to me a 600 pound cafe bike is pointless.
We will eventually settle on a style and I am sure that soon we will have a nice bike that is monetarily worth about half what we put into it. You can't put a dollar amount on fun and memories with your kids are priceless.
Sorry for the rant.
Dave
I wouldn't call it a rant, more like a philosophical statement, lol! One thing I will put out there: buying a 'rider' for $2000 still doesn't tell me that the water pump is going, or the wheel bearings have been replaced, or even proper maintenence done. Buying 'cheap' allows more money for these things, which I'd probably do to that $2000 'runner' anyway. My 2 cents...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I would add that I see bikes 'resurrected' and sold as a runner with little attention payed to the important stuff, like brakes, lines, etc. Not picking on those who do it, but buyer beware...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

Very true. At least if I have to go through it all I will know what I have. I think I will check the belts to make sure I am not a tooth off.
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

Sent PM re forks no response?
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
taunusrainer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taunusrainer »

I have some new ones on the shelf for a 76. Tubes and sliders. These are rare bears nowadays and more intended for a perfection resto. Also shipping from europe will be pricey. You need the chrome tubes if I understand correctly?
CU
Ray
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

I'd jump on those Ebay forks. A lot cheaper than I'd sell them for.