Money pit motor

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Money pit motor

Post by Liam »

robin1731 wrote:Looks like variable valve timing?

I don't know other than it had twin cam heads with 4 valves per cylinder, 32 in total. That's 32 rockers too.
It would not surprise me if it had as it seemed to me to be an engine designed by engineers rather than accountants.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

chrisz wrote:Liam, can you post a photo of the broken part?
Unfortunately I cant as I do not have one. Here is a picture of
the head with all the rockers and camshafts removed though.
20141216_181950.jpg
20141216_181950.jpg (121.58 KiB) Viewed 174 times
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

05c50 wrote:Things you don't want to hear when you try to start it...."I think the timing is off a tooth". :IDTS:

.......Paul
I gotta tell you, this post almost made me spit coffee all over. Funny as heck!

Liam: Sounds like you got your money's worth from that motor. Trouble is, nothing else compares, so you can't replace it with just anything! Hopefully, the next ride was/is just as satisfying.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

desertrefugee wrote:
05c50 wrote:Things you don't want to hear when you try to start it...."I think the timing is off a tooth". :IDTS:

.......Paul
I gotta tell you, this post almost made me spit coffee all over. Funny as heck!

Liam: Sounds like you got your money's worth from that motor. Trouble is, nothing else compares, so you can't replace it with just anything! Hopefully, the next ride was/is just as satisfying.
Yes Indeed. A difficult act to follow. Very difficult to find an A8 over here with bigger than the 3.0 V6 TDI now.
I did get to test drive a 2010 with a 4.2 TDI that was a heck of a motor.
Only problem was the seller seemed to me to be a bit of a Pablo Escobar, I was happy to get out of there.

I ended up buying a 2015 A6 with a tiddly 2.0 TDI. It is rated at 190 HP with a 7 speed DSG so it can move.
I was quite surprised when I drove it and I get about 1200 Km from the tank which over here costs about €90 to fill up.