Spring time refresh

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Spring time refresh

Post by DUGG »

robin1731 wrote:
Sugs wrote:Red bike looks really good. I'm wondering what the front fender is off of?
Looks like a CBX/750F/900F/1100F front fender. Same as the bike in my avatar.

The fender is a CB750F from the late seventies. I always wanted one on my 81 CB750C bobber back in the day but back then $50. was a lot for me. So I put one on this bike and ironically I think I paid $30. The CBX and CB1100F ones are made of gold apparently due to the asking price for them. I'm not sure if they are all the same.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

That's actually the style of the CBX B and C touring models ('81/'82). The '79/'80 naked years used a more traditionally shaped fender - albeit made of plastic. I do like the later style much more.

And you are sure right about prices on anything that says "CBX". Geez Louis it gets crazy. I thought Valkyrie parts were expensive until I picked up a CBX.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

desertrefugee wrote:And you are sure right about prices on anything that says "CBX". Geez Louis it gets crazy. I thought Valkyrie parts were expensive until I picked up a CBX.
For a bike Honda had to sell at give away prices to get rid they certainly have become very expensive. I had friend who bought a nos 1982 CBX in 1985 for just over 2k.

The CBX sport touring models were somewhat of my inspiration for the direction I went with my bike. Kind of what if Honda had made a sport tour Goldwing instead of using the CBX. I needed a bike that would be capable of commuting, back road sport riding, two up comfort and the occasional long weekend trip. I'm a function over form type person, but the function has to look good too.
I always wanted a CB1100F but they are pretty rare and very pricey and too rich for me.
Boxeerman
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Boxeerman »

Great looking bike .I am interested in what your source was for your front fender and if it fitted up without much modification.
1982 gl 1100
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

Boxeerman wrote:Great looking bike .I am interested in what your source was for your front fender and if it fitted up without much modification.
fenders are available on Ebay . Fitting it wasn't too hard. Just had to take the metal mount/brace off the old fender. Drill new holes in it for the new fender.
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

Overall the bike looks really sharp. I am not personally a fan of the turn-down exhausts - I would love to see it with those Harley take-offs. The Windjammer looks a lot more modern with the fairing mounted mirrors, and (I think?) a cut down windshield. Really nice job.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
Tin Man
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Tin Man »

How does it ride with the lowered windshield? I have been debating on cutting mine down.

Love the look of your bike. I am in the middle of re-doing a 77 that will be painted a metallic red and gold. Yours is quite the inspiration.
Be truthful, gentle and fearless - Ghandi

1977 GL1000
1997 Sportster bobber 'The Wampa'
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

The first mod I made was cutting down the windshield. At six foot tall the upper edge was right in my line of sight. I like it though it might now be for everyone. I definitely get more wind in the face but on a motorcycle you should. If a wanted to sit behind a windshield I would drive my car.

I don't know if I'll get the the mufflers anytime soon. I've got a lot on my plate the next few weeks. I still have some reservations about cutting up a perfectly good exhaust system as I'm sure over time it will be harder to find good ones. Now if I had a set of good headers and bad mufflers no question about it.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

DUGG wrote: I don't know if I'll get the the mufflers anytime soon. I've got a lot on my plate the next few weeks. I still have some reservations about cutting up a perfectly good exhaust system as I'm sure over time it will be harder to find good ones. Now if I had a set of good headers and bad mufflers no question about it.
I had the exact same pipes on mine when I got it, downturn extensions and all. They didn't look too pretty because the bike had been sitting for a couple of decades, but after hitting them with steel wool they actually turned out to be quite nice. Not wanting to butcher a nice solid set of original pipes, I built my own exhaust using a cheap set of 1200 headers...if you can weld, they're not that hard to modify to fit the 1100 frame. Left side is bolt on, right side needs to have the outlet cut off and re-attached at a different angle. I used Road King mufflers, and flex pipe to connect them. Put a wrap on the headers back to the mufflers. Details are in my build thread if you're interested. I'm probably not going to need the stock exhaust, so I'll probably re-home them to someone doing a restoration at some point.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

DUGG wrote:
I don't know if I'll get the the mufflers anytime soon. I've got a lot on my plate the next few weeks. I still have some reservations about cutting up a perfectly good exhaust system as I'm sure over time it will be harder to find good ones. Now if I had a set of good headers and bad mufflers no question about it.
Every stock set on my 1100's were bad. I'd keep them around if I were you. Some poor guy (like me, lol) might just want them down the road...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Those look like really nice pipes, I never knew they were available.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Those pipes have been around for 2-3 years. A couple on here have used them. I put them on some Kawasaki's. Nice pipe. Good quality. And the stainless turns a gold color after they are on for awhile.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Let me be the first to congratulate you on Bike of the Month December 2018. Well deserved.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Let me be second! Congratulations! Your bike is great!
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter