adding an oil cooler to a Morgan 3-wheeler

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: adding an oil cooler to a Morgan 3-wheeler

Post by Whiskerfish »

just to throw this out there how about 2 smaller coolers. One on each side in the triangular opening below the headers.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

not really obvious in the pictures, but those are the struts for the front suspension.

Now that I see the ultracool cooler, the box it is in is quite stout, so I am planning on mounting on the front. Anything that would damage it, would damage a lot more under the three wheeler as well
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

so really cold this weekend... but I have made some progress. I was going to hang it off the cross tube under the engine, so I bent I couple of 1/8 steel (not easy) and made some brackets.
morgancooler1.jpg
morgancooler1.jpg (97.49 KiB) Viewed 290 times
morgancooler2.jpg
morgancooler2.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 290 times
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

unfortunately this made it too low, when I thought why not run a plate horizontally as there were a couple of 1/4" holes on the corner bracket and then shim it with fender washers to the right height
morgancooler4.jpg
morgancooler4.jpg (104.98 KiB) Viewed 290 times
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

then I thought 1/4 bolts are not very stout, so went with 3/9 grade 8
morgancooler5.jpg
morgancooler5.jpg (109.4 KiB) Viewed 290 times
and then the cover cover in place
morgancooler.jpg
morgancooler.jpg (117.14 KiB) Viewed 290 times
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I will now need to figure out some way to move the plate that covered that area (probably for a license) forward... and then the hose lines
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

back at work... the oil lines going into the filter adapter. Because they would rub against a cross member (V-twins vibrate)I slid a piece of vinyl tubing over the oil line... a sacrificial lamb sorry, the picture ended up side down
morgancooler9.jpg
morgancooler9.jpg (108.85 KiB) Viewed 273 times
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

in place
morgancooler6.jpg
morgancooler6.jpg (124.98 KiB) Viewed 272 times
cut a couple of pieces of flat steel and then used a piece of screen (union jack motif) across the front
morgancooler7.jpg
morgancooler7.jpg (115.27 KiB) Viewed 272 times
morgancooler8.jpg
morgancooler8.jpg (106.09 KiB) Viewed 272 times
-Rodger-
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Looks great!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

looks factory.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

so a couple of updates.

First time I started it oil was leaking (badly) at the adapter so I figured the gasket was not well placed. It is really up in the most inconvenient place so you cannot see how it is going together. I took that off and put a tiny bead of oil resistant gasket sealer so I would know it was in place. That worked!

I took it out twice this weekend as the temperatures were in the high 30's. At idle the jugs get hot enough the engine fan comes on at low speed. However the oil never got hot enough to switch the bypass in the adapter. The good news is that cool oil is not going through the cooler.
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Okay..... I am revamping it. I did not like that the cooler sat so low. Plus the lines where against the frame member, and even with the vinyl protector they eventually will wear.

I am removing the bypass adapter at the oil filter. Instead I bout an "Earl's" in line bypass that I will put in the oil return line to the sump. The earl's is -an10 which means 1/2 ID lines and I will step down to 3/8 right before the cooler. The bypass is staged to increase the oil flow to the cooler as the oil temp heats up. It also has 3 1/8 fpt ports. I will plug one, run the fan switch off another and a temp sensor off the third.
bypass.jpg
bypass.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 209 times
I am also moving it forward and higher. Just did not like that it sat so low. Instead of the metal "license holder" that was originally across the front, I was thinking of making something out of oak. After all the dash is stained wood and part of the frame is ash
-Rodger-