GL 1100 81'

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

GL1100 question

Post by Wingersparty »

Hi,

If everything goes well i will buy my self a 1982 Gl1100. I haven't seen it in real life jet just pics that seller sent me online and the bike looks great visually and it has 90K km on a clock. The seller and i live 400km from each other and the sea is between us :) So i decided to buy it if there isn't any huge mechanical issues and to check that i have to take a ferry trip and i have few hours for inspection at site Due to the fact that my ferry returns at the same day.
So what are the main issues i should be looking at and what are the most critical/expensive parts to repair/restore on gl1100? Any good inspection tips or rule of thumbs for buying a used gl1100?

Thanks
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: GL1100 question

Post by Whiskerfish »

Gummed up carbs or a bad Stator are probably the 2 biggest reasons these bikes get parked. If she has been sitting you can expect to have to rebuild the carbs, brake systems, tires, so there is some expense if it has not been maintained. For stator testing the base test (non running bike) is done with an Ohm meter. The proper test is done with the bike running and checking the A/C voltage between the three yellow wires. Replacing the stator is an "engine out" evolution.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Whiskerfish has mentioned most of what to look at, and I'll add a few. The stator connector plug often deteriorates (melts) from corrosion. This may or may not indicate additional issues with the stator. The plug is located just in front of the battery box under the left side cover, and connects three yellow wires.
Another area that I would look at closely is the water pump weep hole located directly below and behind the lower radiator hose on the front cover of the engine. If the water pump is bad, it can leak antifreeze and/ or oil from the weep hole. There's typically a visible 'trail' if it's been leaking for a while. Water pump replacement is a fairly straight forward but involved job. The pump can be rebuilt or replaced with new. Cost for parts will run $75 to almost $200 (US) depending.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Thanks for the advice guys . Bought the ferry tickets and we will see at the end of the next week- will there be another GL in my garage or not.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

check the cross bar the center stand pivots on for rust as well..and the bottom of the frame.
good luck. I love my 82 1100..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Wooohoooo im a gl1100 owner now. Thanks for the advice guys. At first i will have to get it registered then make a test drive for 200-300km and then full service. Belts, wheels, brakes, fluids, tires.

Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Your new bike looks to be in great condition, CONGRATS! Don't know how old the belts,brakes and tires are but they would be my first on the agenda. Your bikes life depends on updated belts and your life depends on brakes and tires. Don't think I would strike off for 300km before insuring these were in good shape. You may already have info on when they were last replaced and it does look like the previous owner looked after your new bike well.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Unusual aftermarket case guards .... don’t think I’ve seen that type ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Well i thought ill get a taste first what needs to be done. The tires threads are ok but they are bit old. Ill have to be more careful i know. The belts are 2-3 years old but i know i have to change them. Maybe ill change them just in case. The bike was inspected in Swedish official inspector last season without any comments.
Overall the the last time the bike ran was 2018 summer and it fired right up today. It idles good but i felt it needs fresh gasoline, carb cleaning and syncronizing and valve job .
Case guards ill remove and install original crabrail. Everything will be as close to original as possible. Maybe the brakes will be upgraded to twin piston set because I have a set from vf750f already..
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

sweet..it's a standard..looks to be well taken care of.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

If it’s an '82 it should have two piston calipers ....

Gord :roll:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Wingersparty wrote:Wooohoooo im a gl1100 owner now. Thanks for the advice guys. At first i will have to get it registered then make a test drive for 200-300km and then full service. Belts, wheels, brakes, fluids, tires.
I think you have that backwards. I would never go farther than I could push it back from until after I had done the full service.

Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (you will soon learn that it owns you, not the other way around). Your bike has had 37 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. Regardless of what the inspector said, the original rubber brake lines should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes (= 5 or 6 years) so start shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
cdwillis
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by cdwillis »

Looks like it's in real good shape. I paid about $25 for my timing belts. It's well worth the piece of mind even if you think the current belts aren't too bad.
1983 GL1100 Interstate bratty bobber project
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=68140
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

There is only one way of telling if your timing belts are good to go, or not.

And that is. If you have just changed them out, yourself. Period!
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

That's how you know they are good.

There are 2 ways to tell if they are bad: 1) look for wear as indicated in the FSM and 2) wait for one to break.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....