C5 ignition

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: C5 ignition

Post by rcmatt007 »

or the connections between 40 year old wiring
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
AussieGold
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AussieGold »

as mentioned , the wiring on these bikes is 40+ yrs old. the very reason to use a relay. to remove any doubt that the ignition receives full voltage. preferably fused. in my opinion.
i originally connected mine via the green/white wire that supplies the flasher unit. nothing wrong with that if you are certain
of its connections. i removed all doubts for myself by creating a dedicated power source.
been using these ignitions for a good while now (2013), ( i have three) and cannot fault them .
Mentor to all self appointed (and genuine) GURUS.

An LTD is........it just is.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I spoke with Paul at C5, and he said to get power directly from the battery with a fuse. He said the main problem with our bikes was voltage spikes from the voltage regulator which tends to burn out the module. They make a dc to dc converter that cleans up the volts from the regulator. I still haven’t received mine yet, but we will soon see!!
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

C5 ignition

Post by millerdog »

Hey y’all. I’m still struggling with this ignition. I’ve had the carbs professionally rebuilt thinking that might be the problem, but apparently not. It runs great right up to around 5 to 6 thousand rpms. That’s when it just starts busting out across the board. I’ve spoken with Paul at C5, and he suggested it might be a rejet issue. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with these ignitions. I have less than half a volt drop between the battery and coils, so it’s not a voltage drop issue. I’m seriously thinking about going back to a Dyna ignition at this point. Never had this problem with any other ignition I’ve ran. Thanks!
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

What is the rest of your setup? Year engine, stock, stock intake and exhaust etc etc etc
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I’m still having the same issues. Bike runs fine up to around 6 grand. Then it starts busting out across all cylinders. I’ve had the carbs rebuilt, and still the same problem. Paul at C5 recommended installing a 12 volt to 12 volt dc converter, which they provided. I’m beginning to think maybe this is the issue. He also suggested it may be a jetting problem. Has anyone had to re jet their carbs? Seems unlikely that this would be the problem. At this point, I’m thinking about chucking the whole thing, and taking the loss. Back to a Dyna. Even though they only last a year or two on this bike. Never had issues like this with any other ignition I’ve had. Very frustrating....
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

It’s a 76 GL1000. Stock air cleaner. Aftermarket exhaust that is pretty much straight through, with baffles. I have less than a half volt drop from the battery to the coils. I’m running the entire thing on a separate circuit straight off the battery, as per Pauls suggestion. I’m also running a 12 volt to 12 volt dc converter as per Paul’s suggestion to guard against voltage spikes, which I understand are the number one cause of these ignitions failing. I’ve tried various plug gap settings too. Nothing seems to change. I’ve never had this problem before, until I installed this ignition. Between the ignition, and carb rebuild, I’ve got almost a grand into this thing now. I’m about to start pulling hair! LOL
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

My c5 is on a 78. It is a complete system. Coil wires and triggers. I use. Plugs at .26 thousands. Pulesto the end of the tach numbers. I would look else are for the problem.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

At this point, I don’t know where else to look. It pulled past redline with every ignition I’ve ever used. Until this one. Carbs are freshly rebuilt. New plugs. What else could it be? I’m racking my brains, and I can’t think of anything else except for this ignition. It’s even on its own switched dedicated circuit.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Interesting that you say a Dyna ignition only lasts a year or two. I know you've bypassed much of the stock wiring per Paul's advice, but what is the condition of the rest of the wiring harness, reg/ rectifier, stator, connections, grounds? Electricity can do some funky stuff, especially to electronics if there are other issues.

I'm no expert on carbs either, but most everything I've read suggests that the only time re-jetting these carbs would be necessary is when there is significant changes to the air filter/ air box...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Everything else seems to be in good order. Charging system is functioning perfectly as far as I can tell. Like I said, I’ve not ever had this problem with any other ignition I’ve used. I believe the problem with dynas, is the heat. Always a module will burn out. Never the same one either.
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

It acted the same before the carb rebuild?

Admittedly I don't know much about the C5, is the advance function the same mechanical device or programmed electronics?

millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Yep. It acted exactly the same before the rebuild. I kinda knew I was wasting my money on a rebuild, but I wanted to eliminate that possibility. It had an electronic advance. Not mechanical. 4 different maps to choose from. It acts the same with any of the maps. Always busts out at around 6 grand.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

For something easy to check, I would try throwing a good quality timing light on it and see if spark is getting lost or advance scattering in that 5-6k rpm range you're seeing.
Also, could try contacting Power Arc Ignitions directly (they make the electronics). Among other things, these units have a programmable rev limit function, which could be coming in too early for whatever reason?
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

If you have all the parts the easiest thing to do is revert to points and see if the problem goes away.