C5 ignition

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: C5 ignition

Post by SnoBrdr »

Track T 2411 wrote:I'm curious how much one would have to change on a bike to 'test' that unit's operation. I have a good running '76 with a new Dyna ignition, coils, and plug wires. What would it take to swap in the C5 and see what happens? Just a thought...
Pretty easy install.

The hardest part is removing the old coils.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Well, latest update. Took the converter out of the equation, and went straight from the battery to the coils with 12 gauge wire instead of 14. It’s still trying to bust out at 6 grand, but will now rev to 7. I’ve got some 10 gauge today, and I’ll try that. If it still doesn’t work, I’m going to send it back to Paul to be tested.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I don't think that's going to help. The ignition isn't drawing that much current. Sorry if you discussed this, but have you concluded the coils are good? Or the plug wires?
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

desertrefugee wrote:I don't think that's going to help. The ignition isn't drawing that much current. Sorry if you discussed this, but have you concluded the coils are good? Or the plug wires?
It’s a brand new C5 ignition.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Still could be faulty. It happens. Your symptoms sound a lot like a secondary voltage breakdown.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I’m going by to eventually send them back I guess. I’m running out of options.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Well, I’ve spoken with Paul at C5, and Gary at Power arc. They both agree I have it wired correctly. Paul suggested using larger gauge wire to feed the coils. Which I did. 12 gauge. Still no change. I’ve went back over all my connections, and see no problems. Everything soldered. Gary agreed that it is probably not a jetting issue. I’m stumped. He’s stumped. LOL. He said these should rev to 10,000. At this point, I’m not sure what to do, other than send the module back for testing. It was also agreed by Power arc that the coils are not bad. The chances of two coils going bad are slim to none. I’ve got nothing left to try. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if I can set the timing with just the trigger wires off of the coils, or if power has to be removed completely.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

millerdog wrote:Well, I’ve spoken with Paul at C5, and Gary at Power arc. They both agree I have it wired correctly. Paul suggested using larger gauge wire to feed the coils. Which I did. 12 gauge. Still no change. I’ve went back over all my connections, and see no problems. Everything soldered. Gary agreed that it is probably not a jetting issue. I’m stumped. He’s stumped. LOL. He said these should rev to 10,000. At this point, I’m not sure what to do, other than send the module back for testing. It was also agreed by Power arc that the coils are not bad. The chances of two coils going bad are slim to none. I’ve got nothing left to try. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if I can set the timing with just the trigger wires off of the coils, or if power has to be removed completely.
Why not send the unit back, have it tested and remove all doubt?
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Why not send the unit back, have it tested and remove all doubt?[/quote]

More than likely, that’s what I’ll end up doing. Just gotta couple more things to check out.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Latest update. I rerouted some wires. Noticed I had some module wires a little close to the plug wires. Cranked it up a minute ago, and it will rev past 6 grand easily sitting still. Raining now, so I can’t take it out. I have high hopes. LOL. I’m hoping ignition was being scattered because of energy off the plug wires. Man, I’m excited. Stupid rain. LOL
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

millerdog wrote:Latest update. I rerouted some wires. Noticed I had some module wires a little close to the plug wires. Cranked it up a minute ago, and it will rev past 6 grand easily sitting still. Raining now, so I can’t take it out. I have high hopes. LOL. I’m hoping ignition was being scattered because of energy off the plug wires. Man, I’m excited. Stupid rain. LOL
Are you using the C5 plug wires?
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Yep. The entire kit came from them.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

It says in their directions not to get the ignition wires close to plug wires, or alternator wires. I thought I had everything sitting right. I’ll find out if this was the problem tomorrow. At least I know it WILL rev beyond 6 thousand. Whether it will under a load, remains to be seen/
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Latest update. Took it out this evening, and much better, although it’s still breaking up at 6 grand. It’s not as bad. I really think I’m picking up interference off the plug wires. Not sure. Not sure how else to prevent it either. Not sure about anything at this point actually. Plugs are gapped at .024. I’m still playing. LOL
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

What does Paul recommend for the gap? I know with the dyna and the green coils I go to .035
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!