Strange Request for Valkyrie Owner(s)

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Strange Request for Valkyrie Owner(s)

Post by dontwantapickle »

Lucien Harpress wrote: My 1200 Standard was going to be the bike that could reliably get me from one side of the US to another, and the only reason I'm entertaining the idea of selling it is so I can get a bike that can do the same. Fun as speculation is, I also don't want to ruin a good bike.)
I can tell you from experience that the Valkyrie is a thirsty beast and running back and forth across the country, you'll feel the sting at the pump.
the extra 10 mpg or so really adds up when the ride is a couple of thousand miles long.

The photoshop looks like all of the modifications you are planning are just cosmetic and therefore not going to change the fundamental character of the bike.
I say go for it....... and if you decide later that you don't like the styling, it will be pretty easy to change with a different seat and a coat of paint.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

I am here to say that the real "at the pump sting" comes from those that refuse to lay off the throttle. They enjoy the quick get away and need to feel the power response. I have several friends who have Gl1100's (as do I) . OK I do get far superior mileage on my 83 Gl100, VTX 1300's and 1800's. Whenever we pull into a fill up I am within a liter of their bikes (qt for those south of the border). If you can resist the instant gratification that comes with twisting the throttle you will be surprised! I still like the feeling when I need to twist the throttle on my Valkyrie.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Gas mileage to me has never been a super-huge issue. Maybe it's the lack of REALLY long trips I've taken, or the actual price difference between "GL1200 Mileage" and "Valk Mileage" is pretty low in comparative terms unless you stretch it out to a coast-to-coast distance (at which point I'm probably paying for quite a bit as it is), but my go-to is always comparing it to my car- even feeding six carburetors, I'm probably still doing better off with a Valkyrie than I am with my Jeep Liberty. :lol:

And the coast-to-coast thing was a bit of hyperbole anyway. The point I was trying to make was that I have three bikes I ride and tinker on in equal measure, and the only reason I'm willing to put up with that is because, no matter what, I always have my GL1200 that works PERFECTLY to fall back on. If I'm willing to let go of that kind of security, I want to replace it with something that will be able to do the same, and continue to do so after I alter it in whatever way I see fit (hence the statement of not wanting to ruin a good thing). This is all me massaging the styling of the bike closer to my liking, not improving the ride quality beyond what it already is.

(....all on a bike I don't actually own. lolol )
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I’ve been all over the West on my Valkyrie. I believe 36 and change MPG is the best I ever saw. I pretty much quit calculating it. Don’t care. It’s the best touring mount I’ve ever had. Not to much, not too little. Just right (even if maybe a little short on range).
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

really like your idea..not a fan at all of the valk exhaust from a style point of view...are you going to change that too? ;)
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

Jonesz wrote:I am here to say that the real "at the pump sting" comes from those that refuse to lay off the throttle.
Yeah, that's me! but then....... I didn't buy a hot rod bike to ride it slow.
The excitement of riding a Valkyrie does come at a price, and touring on one when gas was over $4. a gallon,
that price added up.
Fuel mileage became especially noticeable when riding next to new HD baggers getting 50 M.P.G.

The Valk is a great bike in many ways, but with 6 carbs and tire chewing torque.... economical it isn't.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

dontwantapickle wrote:
Jonesz wrote:I am here to say that the real "at the pump sting" comes from those that refuse to lay off the throttle.
The Valk is a great bike in many ways, but with 6 carbs and tire chewing torque.... economical it isn't.
It sure is a great compromise between touring in comfort and performance satisfaction. Mine stays. It has earned its keep.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

5speed wrote:really like your idea..not a fan at all of the valk exhaust from a style point of view...are you going to change that too? ;)
Exhaust I'm actually okay with either the stock OR the 6 into 6 Cobra (most bikes for sale come with one or the other). I could probably weld something custom up, but doing so without messing up the chrome would be difficult.

To me the major sins people commit with exhaust pipes on bikes (either super-upswept pipes or any X-into-1 setup) don't really show up on Valkyries ever, so I'm generally okay with them.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I bought my bike with Cobra 6 into 6s. But I stumbled onto a pristine set Viking headers and cans. Arguably one of the best pipes ever made for the valkyrie. Large tube equal length ceramic coated inside and out. Best sounding pipe I have heard for that machine. And I have heard a bunch of them. Google them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uua_qvcKvhA
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Those Viking pipes actually sound REALLY nice. The stock pipes are nice, but are very "Honda Goldwing"- quiet to the point of being whispery. I'm sure they're fantastically tuned to the bike, great on long rides, etc., etc., etc. But a bit more pazazz might be a good thing.

The Cobras, I worry, go too far the other way. They seem a bit loud for a general-use bike (man, I sound old), and while the growl at idle is actually pretty nice, I worry that at speed it would get annoying real quick. And don't get me started on people that pop the baffles out.

The Viking pipes do have a wonderful note kind of right in between the two other two options, but getting my hands on a set may prove difficult (if my 30 second Google search means anything).

But naturally, since you said something NOW I'm randomly searching for universal slim vintage mufflers and pondering how difficult it would be to make my own 6 into 6 system.....

wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

For clarification, the pipes on the bike Liam posted are 2 brothers...a bit of a different animal than the Cobras,(raw and loud) although the Cobras do have a baffle in them from new to start, which does make them kind of quiet.

When I got my Valk, I wanted to put the Cobra’s on, but didn’t want the drop in power. My stock pipes had been de-piggied, and one or two holes were drilled through, so not quite a Ragnar cut, but as one does just prior to that. The prev owner had made copper “piggies” to try and calm it down. It had turn out tips on it, which made it somewhat worse for drone.

I ended up picking up two truck stacks, and completely cutting out the rear baffle, got a pretty good sound out of it. Took the rear baffle and made a slip in silencer for when I need to be quieter. I put some of Grumpy’s tips on there to dress it up. Only bad part about that mod is having it sound like a Detroit diesel at 3K. lolol
8F57FE59-5C2C-47E0-90DE-F44A4FD3D70D.jpeg
8F57FE59-5C2C-47E0-90DE-F44A4FD3D70D.jpeg (193.98 KiB) Viewed 325 times
16C8E2A6-EE5F-4E72-95B5-225F2E89847D.jpeg
16C8E2A6-EE5F-4E72-95B5-225F2E89847D.jpeg (152.21 KiB) Viewed 325 times
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

...okay. Now you guys got me thinking again.

1. Does anyone know what the diameter of stock Harley Sportster mufflers are?

2. Is there a muffler that shares the same shape (cylinder with tapered ends) that is a smaller diameter, but still easyish to get a hold of?

3. What's the diameter of the standard Valkyrie header (or the section immediately afterward where it necks down behind the shield)?
Last edited by Lucien Harpress on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I found a short video clip that I made of my Valkrie right after I had installed the Vikings. Stone cold start up. That’s why I didn’t really tach it up too far. The headers themselves are a work of art, but the sound comes from the 36 inch long glass packs. Great combination. Too bad they are so darn rare.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... hWeUpqM29R
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

wingrider wrote:For clarification, the pipes on the bike Liam posted are 2 brothers...a bit of a different animal than the Cobras,(raw and loud) although the Cobras do have a baffle in them from new to start, which does make them kind of quiet.

When I got my Valk, I wanted to put the Cobra’s on, but didn’t want the drop in power. My stock pipes had been de-piggied, and one or two holes were drilled through, so not quite a Ragnar cut, but as one does just prior to that. The prev owner had made copper “piggies” to try and calm it down. It had turn out tips on it, which made it somewhat worse for drone.

I ended up picking up two truck stacks, and completely cutting out the rear baffle, got a pretty good sound out of it. Took the rear baffle and made a slip in silencer for when I need to be quieter. I put some of Grumpy’s tips on there to dress it up. Only bad part about that mod is having it sound like a Detroit diesel at 3K. lolol

8F57FE59-5C2C-47E0-90DE-F44A4FD3D70D.jpeg

16C8E2A6-EE5F-4E72-95B5-225F2E89847D.jpeg
Gotta love Grumpy’s tips. Unfortunately, I understand his health has taken a serious turn for the worse. I haven’t heard lately, but I hope he’s OK.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Those Viking pipes DO sound killer. A nice rumble without being overly loud. Not sure if I'm down with sheer visual mass of that muffler, but.... you know. Eh.

In general, how picky are the Valkyries when it comes to changing exhausts? Are they like the 4 cylinder wings (ergo, they don't care), or do they generally require carb adjustments when swapping out pipes? Because in my brain I'm mulling possibilities.

I'd love to put together a 6-into-6 setup, because I REALLY like they way they look. If I can find some universal mufflers with a small enough diameter, I figure I can put together a couple packs of 3, somehow connect them to the six stock headers, and cover up the work with the "flexible" exhaust pipes certain Harleys used (because I kind of like that look).

BUT carbs remain my nemesis, so if this is going to require some extensive re-jetting and needle movements, I'm okay with scrapping the whole endeavor.