Bar end mirror recommendations

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bar end mirror recommendations

Post by Pony Ruiz »

I have shorter bars. the stems on regular mirrors don't extend far enough.
I bought some of these https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage- ... 55-bk.html

They sorta work but not really. The aluminum is nice, the mirror is plastic, and the adjustment it good but they don't stay put. Maybe with some locktite they would be better but the mirror is small. They are expensive. I thought they would be good but noooooooo.

I don't like the lollypop style for my bike so I'm thinkin bar end mirrors.

I looked at CRG https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crg ... end-mirror but they have issues too. I like the folding feature on this one but then you have to buy adapters. $179 total 2 mirrors, 2 adapters.
for two. non folding about $20 less. I don't/can't lane split so I question the folding option, but it'd be nice for storage.

rizoma and motogadget - even more $$

I don't want junk but I don't want overpriced stuff either. I like the fact that crg's have real glass and its gasketed so supposedly not much vibration. you can buy replacements

I'm kinda gun shy from my last mirror buying experience.

Any recommendations?

thanks
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
Wangthang
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Bar end mirror recommendations

Post by Wangthang »

From my experience most of the Chinese mirrors on Ebay are junk. I have had the glass fall out of several. I run bar end mirrors and none of them have a great field of view.
1977 Gl 1000
1976 F1 750 SS
1973 Ironhead chopper
2007 Road King
1974 dohc 450 chopper project
1976 Gl 1000 parts bike
600rr parts bike
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Yeah....

and the folks selling them don't tell you the mirror is plastic! If ida know that I would have never bought the things.

I'm going to get something else but I hate buying stuff online only to find out when I get it - it ain't it. I generally like ebay for most stuff but when the picture looks good and its only $10 with free shipping....it probably ain't from around here.

Then waaht? Send it back? That takes time and $ too. We used to have a good aftermarket and used bike parts outfit here - you could go look at it but they retired and went home.

I will keep looking. In the meantime I'm going to fuse the ones I have together (so they don't move) and put some locktite on the threads. The supposed good ones or most expensive ones are that expensive. rant over. crying1

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

I have the CRG ones on my 77, and really like the look of it. Now, I am running the handlebars from the Busa I took the front end from. Also got some fancy winkers to go in the bar ends...I will say, they aren’t cheap, but they are good quality. I liked the fact that you can get replacement parts for them.
Last edited by wingrider on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

I have this style on my bike. Not sure if they are the same brand since I purchased them a few years ago though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071S21FV8/re ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

thanks wingrider for that. did you need to get the mounting insert (that costs an extra $18-20) :IDTS: ? Do they tighten up good? I read one review when they were tightened up that part broke? too tight obviously.... Being able to buy the glass in case you break them is a nice feature.

Sugs. I'm guessing with the blue tint the mirror material is plastic am I right?

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

You may want to rethink fusing them together. I've had some here in the shop on bikes. It is very easy to get up against them. If they did not fold they may have easily broken.

Just moving the bike around it is real easy to bump them.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

not the folding ones. - these...they keep droopin on me.
mirror.pdf
(12.16 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Pony Ruiz wrote:thanks wingrider for that. did you need to get the mounting insert (that costs an extra $18-20) :IDTS: ? Do they tighten up good? I read one review when they were tightened up that part broke? too tight obviously...
That is an interesting question. being that I am running the bar end lights, and I am running essentially clip ons, I did not require the adapters. I will say that on occasion I can tend to be rather ham fisted, and nothing broke, and they are on very snug. I do really like the tip up feature for storage.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Sugs. I'm guessing with the blue tint the mirror material is plastic am I right?[/quote]

I looked through the description but couldn't tell. Mine don't seem like plastic but I suppose they could be.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing