Clutch Issues

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Clutch Issues

Post by kjmarti2 »

I am at my wits end with this clutch, and I'm not sure what else to try.

I've followed Octane's clutch renewal guide both with the engine in the frame, and with the engine out, and the end result is the same. No matter how much clutch cable free play I have, no matter which direction I adjust the lifter screw, I can't get the output shaft to the rear wheel to spin freely when I pull the clutch in.

Lifter arm works well, no issues with bearings, clutch plates in proper order, stack all the way in, lifter plate installed with proper torque on springs, center nut torqued down well. Does anyone have any ideas what I'm missing here?

-Kyle
Yellow 1976 GL1000 - "The Phoenix"
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: Clutch Issues

Post by Oldewing »

So, there is no movement at the throw out arm?
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Is the driveshaft and final drive attached? Are you turning just the output shaft or the rear wheel? I'm guessing you have the transmission in gear. There will always be some drag. Even when everything is working properly. Turning the output shaft by hand would be harder than turning the rear wheel if all is hooked up. You may just be feeling what is natural/normal.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kjmarti2 »

The lifter arm appears to be moving normally, and the clutch feels normal when squeezing it at the lever. Rob, you're correct that I'm just trying to move the shaft with my fingers, so I'll hook it up to the rear wheel tonight and see if that changes things. I will say though, back before I did anything with the clutch when I reinstalled the engine the first time I couldn't get the wheel to move with the clutch pulled in either. I should specify that during all this the engine oil was and still is drained. Maybe that makes a difference.
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kjmarti2 »

You were right Rob, this turned out to be a complete nothing-burger. I hooked the rear wheel up, and when pulling the clutch in it turned when applying some force to it. Much more force required than if it was in neutral (which isn't what I was expecting), but it still seems to work and that's probably how it always has worked. Thanks for being a voice of reason. Got the engine back in, the clutch all situated, and the rear wheel back on last night. I'm in the home stretch now! Just need to install carbs, airbox, exhaust, and radiator now.
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919