Safety items I learned the hard way.

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Safety items I learned the hard way.

Post by desertrefugee »

Well, I started to add my own little story to this thread last night and didn’t, but feel compelled to do so now. Something happened to me yesterday that needs to come out. Before you read on, look at my signature line. Eric got bitten I think in part by inattention, yesterday I got bitten by stupidity. Didn’t go down, but easily could have.

You guys might have noted that I picked up an 86 one owner Vmax recently. Been working hard on getting it shipshape and it is running like a scalded dog… The way a Vmax should. But I have the front brake master cylinder off the bike waiting for a kit to come in. While waiting, I did a another sync on the carburetors and was surprised to find the two sides were way off.

I wanted to see how much better it was going to run with that sync dialed in. The kit is not due in until Wednesday, so I moved the hose into a inconspicuous place and went out with zero front brake. That’s the stupidity part. The ride went great, (weird not having a front brake lever) and I was thoroughly enjoying myself.… Until in traffic under an overpass a pick up truck stopped short when the light went yellow and I had a pretty good head of steam going. Of course the rear brake locked up and I didn’t have enough room to get stopped so I slid past him on the right side and maybe another 10 feet in front of him before I got stopped. Yes, I was partially Into the intersection. Backed it up quick. His wife was there and asked me if I was OK - at which point I explained the no brake situation. She said, “want to put it in the pick up and we’ll take you home?” I said, “no thanks, it’s just stupidity at work. I’ll be OK - thanks“.

Stupidity indeed. This motorcycle isn’t moving another inch until that master cylinder goes back on. And I knew better! Rear brakes do not get the job done on their own. And there are motorcycles… Customs… Rolling around out there with no front brake by design!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Desertrefuge,
Thanks for sharing. It helps that we all acknowledge that we are human and can get bit from time time in our "stupidity."
I'm just getting started @65 yrs old. Thus far the only damage has been my tan leather Gucci bags when I dropped my Scout on gravel...twice. And of course my pride along with minor road rash.
Let me also clarify my statement about getting started. I meant with regard to motorcycles. I have a long history of acting and being stupid naturally and under the influence. Not bragging just stating the obvious.
I'm very glad you came out alright.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Spent two days in the truck hauling snow——- in April. Lots of time to ponder the meaning of life why a fool would live here and stuck throttles.

I just went out in the garage and looked some more and think I have found a more likely candidate. I can make my rubber fuel line hold the throttle open if I I pull it up a ways. I did it a few times today and decided there was no way it could get pulled up as it was a short run to the fuel tank. It stays out of the way and in position.

Typical me, I threw an ugly oversized breather cap on the crankcase vent. The size I thought would be enough to catch oily overspray if it ever came out. I normally tuck it back out of site, but I have a feeling that when putting the V65 carbs back on the morning of the crash, I didn’t tuck it back.

Normal position (should be tied back.)
97DF6502-8AD8-4D28-94EA-2E747CD2D976.jpeg
97DF6502-8AD8-4D28-94EA-2E747CD2D976.jpeg (265.7 KiB) Viewed 193 times
If it bounces forward and the throttle is cracked open—— whuuuups.
D95FEFEC-36FB-4A5E-B537-B9F404FE6F6A.jpeg
D95FEFEC-36FB-4A5E-B537-B9F404FE6F6A.jpeg (291.63 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Not wide open, but very close to it.

Why, yes that is a golf grip, why?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

ericheath wrote:The worst part of this is I really did not have my riding head on. It was my third or fourth ride and none were more than a couple miles.

Another factor, I hate to admit, but probably was in this situation is the wide car tire. It easily “out-traction’s” (I know , not a word) the front tire.

If I hold the front brake and goose the throttle just sitting still, it pushes the front tire along skidding. With a stuck throttle, I had no chance slowing it down once moving.
Are you saying you are a "darksider"? I've never seen where a darksider has made that "out-tractioning" statement. Seems significant.
HoganJr
1991 GL1500
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

hoganJr wrote:
ericheath wrote:The worst part of this is I really did not have my riding head on. It was my third or fourth ride and none were more than a couple miles.

Another factor, I hate to admit, but probably was in this situation is the wide car tire. It easily “out-traction’s” (I know , not a word) the front tire.

If I hold the front brake and goose the throttle just sitting still, it pushes the front tire along skidding. With a stuck throttle, I had no chance slowing it down once moving.
Are you saying you are a "darksider"? I've never seen where a darksider has made that "out-tractioning" statement. Seems significant.
HoganJr
Only if your throttle hangs open.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

^ true!
"out-tractioning"
My darksided Valkyrie will easily push my brake locked front tire. (probably push the bike straight up hill if I tried).
I never considered it a problem.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Having a brain conditioned to turn the key to shut the bike off, and not the kill switch, clearly was my issue. The only reason I’m writing about this embarrassing crash is for others to learn to use what’s there. Taking a hand off the bars while front braking, while rear is driving was the recipe for disaster for me. Right thumb, click, problem solved.

I just got caught in the perfect storm to not have time to react with the habits I’d created.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Got mine to fire up briefly today, no radiator. I was not able to get spark. Traced wires, cleaned connections but could not get the timing light on the PowerArc module to light up. I removed it and reinstalled it and couldn’t re-time it because it wouldn’t light. So I finally decided maybe there was a chunk of mud that got up on the optical trigger, or sensor. I had used air pressure to blow everything out already so I blasted a liberal dose of brake cleaner followed by lots of air a couple times. To my surprise it started to flicker. Another few shots and it was bright. So I timed it, hooked up an auxiliary fuel supply and fired it up. Yay. Rather noisy on the right valve train still. I’m going to be surprised if the valves aren’t bent. It could just be the same noisy adjuster not pumping up but I have my doubts.

It didn’t sound as though anything else was shot.

I think it’s time to give some thought to where I want to go with it this time. Not in a hurry to get it fixed, but the rumble is on the streets and it is enticing me.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I'm glad you made it through this and it is good to hear that you are planning to get the bike going again instead of quitting.

FWIW, I almost never touch the kill switches on my bikes and never use then when parking but the one & only time I had a stuck throttle (caused by ice in the cable on the GS400 trike) modulating the ignition with the kill switch was the first thing that occurred to me when I tried to slow down entering a town and the throttle had no effect. The kill switch's sole purpose is to let you kill the engine without taking your hand off the handlebar and we should all be ready to use it when the time comes.
Would I have had time to use it in your situation? I don't know but it takes a lot less time than reaching for the key.

BTW re over tractioning the front tire: That trike had a pair of car tires (150/80-13 IIRC) on the back and a skinny 3.25 section tire on the front. I don't recall ever trying to overcome the front brake with the engine but I'd bet it would have done so pretty easily, even with only 39 HP.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....