CB750 K0/K1 Hybrid

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: CB750 K2- Okay, Maybe I Actually NEED Wheels

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Thing is, the guy might get it (if not in this market, then eventually). These early SOHC seems to hold value really well- another reason I don't mind putting the money into this that I have. Not that I'm in any rush to sell or anything.

I might get hit a bit because it's both a random assemblage of part and is technically incorrectly laid out for the year of the paint job (the K2 is supposed to have a full hoop grab rail ala GL1000, but the short blinkers and tail light are a bit harder to find. And I like the look better), but eventually selling this bike has always been a distant possibility. So eh.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Knocking out a couple smaller items, and I'm happy to know I'm nearing the finish line when "smaller items" is pretty much all I have left.

New coils showed up a couple days ago, so I got those swapped over. The kit from 4into1.com had everything- coils, plug caps, etc. It was pretty much trim the plug wires the proper length, plug, and play. Still haven't fired them up yet, but I see no reason why they shouldn't work. But while I had the tank off, I took a look at another couple items.

First thing, I took at look at my wiring harness. Thankfully, upon closer inspection, the only bad part was the vinyl sheathing- the wiring itself was fine. Even better, you can find replacement online, which I ordered. I managed to cut/crack/shatter/remove the offending length, and while I good just wrap it with electrical tape and call it good, why not do it correctly? Besides, I can do $7 worth of replacement vinyl if it saves me $100 for a whole new harness.

Last, but not least- throttle cables. I forget where I got my present cable, but it's about 5 inches too long. It works, but only just. And I'd like to have a push cable as well, just in case (although with as many springs as these carbs come with, it'd take a miracle to need it). I got in touch with MotionPro to get a shorter cable made- at quote of $66 later (PER cable!), it was another trip back to 4into1.com to get a pack of both for 17 bucks. I don't know when MotionPro got so expensive, but I'm not a fan.

In any case, pretty soon all I'll have left is cosmetic touches, and I'm very okay with that.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I am marveling at the condition of your tank mount rubbers. Here in the SW, you can bank on needing those puppies. My Vmax needed them. My 750s need them. At least rust is rare here - but it comes with a price (soft parts).

Enjoy that motorcycle this season, Lucien. Then ponder the sale in September...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I'll take bad rubber over rust all day long. Rubber bits are usually cheaper to replace than metal ones...

I was almost going to say those were new too, but upon closer inspection they are original. Either from the original K2 or donor K1, I can't remember. I thought I bought them the same time I replaced my gas tank rear strap, but I guess not. Also, it still blows my mind the only thing holding the tank on is a single rubber strap.

Just waiting on parts right now. I'll probably kill time looking up how to change head bearings. The 750 needs it bad, but the 1300 could afford it too.

I also bought a thing. Not 750 specific, but GPS (all bike) related. Look for a separate thread for THAT later....

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Lucien Harpress wrote: snip....... Also, it still blows my mind the only thing holding the tank on is a single rubber strap.

Same as a lot of bikes from then. Remember though, the seat probably holds it on more than the strap. A lot of bikes out there without the strap because it either broke or is so stretched out it no longer does anything.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I’ve heard that some bikes just have a bungee cord holding the seat on ....

Gord(and the rider of course)Jones crossy.gif
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: CB750 K2- Finishing Touches

The knackered steering head bearings didn't affect handling as much as I expected (although it IS a known issue), so I'm very close to swapping all my legal paperwork off my GL1200 (still for sale, see signature for link :lol: ) to put on my CB750. I've only got a couple minor things to take care of:

-The new vinyl sleeve for the main wiring harness has been installed and all the connections in the headlight bucket re-attached. Hard to do when one front turn signal isn't the right color, the wire colors on the turn signal buzzer is incorrect, and at least one wire just ISN'T used. But everything is back and ready to go.

-The pressure switch for the brake light (as run by the front brake) needed re-wired- the wires were so old one of them just broke right behind the female bullet connector. Thankfully I had some spares, and while the physics of the rewire meant I needed to wrap the whole run in electrical tape (which hurt my soul), I now register a brake light no matter which brake I use.

-I had a major leak from the tach cable mount into the valve cover. While a leaky tach cable seems to be a thing the CB750 just "did", upon closer inspection I noticed a decent sized void that completely bypassed the tach cable seal (which I did replace with new, BTW). It didn't look like damage- it almost looked like a casting imperfection. In any case, there's no way to replace the valve cover without pulling the engine, so I did the next best thing and plugged it with some JB-Weld. Not ideal, but it's not like I can get it any worse.

There's still bits to take care of, but at this point it's all cosmetic. Maybe an engine fine-tune later on, but I'd like to get some miles first.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

anim-cheers1

:crosso
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I took the old girl out for a short spin the other night, just to see if my adjustments made any kind of difference. And, well... a trip around the block turned into about a 30 mile ride in, around, and through town. Overall it's a VERY impressive ride, especially for something that hasn't had the timing touched, and only minimal carb work. Changing a float height on cylinder 4 smoothed it out somewhat, so it isn't even as buzzy as it has been. And my JB-Weld fix for the tach cable worked brilliantly.

....man this thing is fun.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Nice. (Except for those cases... :IDTS: )
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

desertrefugee wrote:Nice. (Except for those cases... :IDTS: )

I have something that will really make those engine covers look very nice. :orange

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

I am really liking this bike, unfortunately likely to cost me some $ in the near future! I want one. Congrats on the restore Lucien
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Oh, don't worry. The cases are next on my list. I wanted to get a reliable runner before focusing on the cosmetic bits (because usually I do things the other way around).

The valve cover polished up pretty nice when I had the engine out, so I expect the sides won't be too bad. I'm not looking for mirror chrome either, which helps.

The turn signals are also a bit crusty, along with the header clamps. I'm exploring options.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Regardless, it’s a bike to be proud of. Just messin’ with you a bit.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I notice the rear bolt on the grab handle is sucked in like the one on my K2. I thought mine was just overtightened, I guess they came that way. Nice bike, I like the color.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.