1978 GL1000 Cafe Racer

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Steven UK
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: 1978 GL1000 Cafe Racer

Post by Steven UK »

Love it...!
GL1100 1981 (A bike that is determined not to be ridden...!)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Can a machine be BOTM twice?

Outstanding work. But then, we've come to expect no less. Thanks for another ride, Jerry!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

desertrefugee wrote:Can a machine be BOTM twice?

Outstanding work. But then, we've come to expect no less. Thanks for another ride, Jerry!
Thank you for your kind words desertrefugee!!
anim-cheers1
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

MagnaCharged GL1000 update - 6-20-2020
-
Interesting week but all-in-all went well.
The Carb is rejetted, and the bike has passed the 500 mile mark; it runs very good!
-
A nice surprise is the fuel economy. In mixed driving with a whoop-dee-doo here and there, the Solex single carb setup was pulling 42mpg - not too shabby!
-
The MagnaCharger and Weber DGV combo in mixed driving with a few omg's thrown in for fun, is pulling 51.9 mpg!

Below are pics of the sparkplugs as they currently look (these are the same plugs used all last year with the single Solex carb setup).
Plugs 1 & 2:
-
-
And plugs 3 & 4:
-
-
I've only been able to get a short video if the bike on a side road, but if the volume is turned up, the sound of the engine will be like music! GL1000 MagnaCharger TestRun - June 2020
-
~CrazyJerry~
Baby You Send Me
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

Can I ask what solex carb were you running. Thanks
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Didn't have nearly as much fun with the OMG's as you did but almost. Your 78 rips pretty good! And now I have ammunition to use on the wife."Look at all the money I could save on fuel if I had a magncharger". Hope it isn't offset by the expense in speeding tickets :-D
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

leggman wrote:Can I ask what solex carb were you running. Thanks
leggman,
I've used three different carbs on this bike: A genuine VW 34-pict3 from https://www.volkzbitz.com/, an EMPI Clone of the VW 34-pict3 brand new right off eBay, and a no-name VW 34-pict3 also off eBay. The VW 34-pict3 from Volksbitz worked nearly perfect out of the box (it's expensive!). Using the standard setup guide for idle adjustments was all that was needed to get a decent running bike. The EMPI clone of the VW 34-pict3 from eBay didn't work as well out of the box. I frogged around quite a bit with the air correction jet and the accelerator pump circuit, but in the end it was near flawless (this is the carb the bike is running in all of my youtube videos before the MagnaCharger/Weber install)! Excellent idle down to 650, no flat spots (the bike had to be at normal operating temp, and the outside air temp needed to be above 52 with low humidity.) The no-name unit would work but not consistently - every ride was different. Sometimes there would be a flat spot, sometimes the idle would hunt, etc... I chalk it up to poor internal quality of the ports, etc...
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Jonesz wrote:Didn't have nearly as much fun with the OMG's as you did but almost. Your 78 rips pretty good! And now I have ammunition to use on the wife."Look at all the money I could save on fuel if I had a magncharger". Hope it isn't offset by the expense in speeding tickets :-D
Jonesz, here's a little more ammo that may also help:
Tell her the guys over at NGWCLUB would crown her as "Wife of the Year" if she not only would agree to a supercharger for your Goldwing, but if she came home with one in the trunk of her car and surprised you with it!!! Somehow all of this is do-able and if nothing else it's one heck of a mid-life crisis must-have!
lolol
Let me know how I can help!
~CrazyJerry~
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Brilliant build, sounds so good!!!!

What compufire r/r did you use for the charging system?
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

wannabridin wrote:Brilliant build, sounds so good!!!!
What compufire r/r did you use for the charging system?
wannabridin,
The universal regulator number is: 55402 (installed this same unit on a GL1100 also.)
-
~CrazyJerry~