Yellow '76: Getting Some Sun

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Yellow '76: Getting Some Sun

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Well, I've got enough photos now to figure on starting a project thread.

With three bikes it's easy to neglect one for way too long, and that's what happened with my GL1000. It starts and rides okay, but there's a number of issues that kept piling up until (after letting it sit all last year) I couldn't put off addressing them any more. So, I got a bit drastic.

The two big issues are the clutch and the fuel tank. The fuel tank's been crudded up a bit since I bought it, to the point my reserve has never worked- I intend to change that. The clutch always had a bit of a moan every time I first started the bike, but it's gotten to the point where it's started to slip as well. But overall this is going to be general clean-up, freshen-up, paint-up, whichever else I need to do this winter.

I did notice a couple things after pulling the engine- first, the wiper on my oil sight glass is leaking. I'm hoping to seal this in a way that preserves functionality of the glass itself, but I'm still exploring options. Second, even after replacing the valve cover seals AND bolt seals, I have a MASSIVE oil leak from the left valve cover. Not entirely sure why, but it's on the list. And I may as well hit the water pump while I'm at it, because I'm getting both oil AND coolant out the weep hole, depending on the day.

But yeah- it's not going to be a full restoration, but I'm definitely fixing and cleaning as much as I can (and budget and practicality will allow).
Last edited by Lucien Harpress on Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Yellow '76 Winter Freshen-Up

Post by wannabridin »

Going to fix the neutral switch while you're at it too? How about timing belt idler upgrades?
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Neutral switch most definitely. That little green light has bugged me since I brought the bike home.

I'll probably hold off on the idler upgrade. My current set doesn't seem to be giving me any problems, and they're easy enough to swap out with the motor in the frame.

Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

it is incredible how any of you disassemble these motorcycles with disarming ease, in Italy it is unthinkable .......
Paola (Italy)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I do not recall having seen any close up photos of that 1000. It is far nicer than I realized. Perfectly understandable why you're willing to go through the trouble of pulling the motor to freshen things up. A keeper for sure. Like the 750. And the KZ13. And the soon to be Valkyrie.

I think this MBS thing really is a sickness. And there is a lot of it going around. Lucien, you have a very bad case!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Yeah, since getting rid of my 1200, I had the realization that this means I've pulled the motor out of EVERY bike I currently own... :roll:

Apparently, before I bought it this bike had been covered in that spray plasti-dip stuff, so it preserved the bodywork rather well once it was rubbed off. The radiator fins have some bad rust spots on the bottom edges and the front faces are pretty spotted, so I'm seeing what I can do with some touchup paint and an airbrush.

Structurally, it's hit and miss. The battery box will need repainted, and the airbox is rusty enough I may consider just replacing it. The gas tank is a whole 'nothing thing entirely. But it's nice enough to be worth re-doing. I just hope I can eliminate some of the weird running issues I've had along the way (but more about that later).

wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

If you need a new gas tank, i might have one i can pull from my 76 parts bike. I THINK it's nice inside, but i can't recall. Have a spare airbox and battery box if needed too
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

The good news? New clutch plates are in, and the only thing stopping me from buttoning it up 100% is a new set of springs.

The bad news? In another hit to my wallet, I took the opportunity to grab a new water pump and front gasket kit. I figure I can 100% the back end of the engine before the parts to fix up the front end show up, and then next time I get paid I can focus on the valve and cam seals for the top end. A replacement neutral switch will be part of that sometime.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I’m gonna say this again: any money spent on that motorcycle is money well spent. That sulphur yellow absolutely breathtaking. If that were mine, it would be the last machine I would get rid of. But, I am partial to yellow. And have had a number of yellow bikes.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

I'm the same w/ the Turquoise on the 75's. Wish I could do that on my '77, but I'll stick w/ the black...
mopehead440
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mopehead440 »

Me likey yeller........
IMG_0054~photo.JPG
IMG_0054~photo.JPG (221.55 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
IMG_0008~photo.jpg
IMG_0008~photo.jpg (255.84 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
IMG_0227~photo.jpg
IMG_0227~photo.jpg (208.26 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
1975 GL1000 Red
1975 GL1000 Blue/Green
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow
1997 Valkyrie Custom
1999 Valkyrie Interstate Trike
2001 Valkyrie IS
2012 GL1800
2014 Indian Vintage Chief
2015 Indian Scout
2016 Indian Jack Daniels Limited Springfield
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Yeah, those yellows sure are lookers, huh? :orange

Progress for me, albeit not very photogenic. New clutch springs arrived, so I managed to get them popped on with the... pressure plate? Release plate? Either way, that star-shaped plate is bolted back on, and I didn't break it, so I'd call it a win.

I decided to replace the oil seal on the throwout arm before I bolted the clutch cover back on. The current one looks fine, but knowing my luck if I didn't replace it that would be the one part to start leaking. In the meantime I can clean up some more of the harder-to-reach areas of the engine block (although at least SOME dirt is getting painted over- there's just no way around it).

To make up for a lack of photos, here's some of this bike in... if not happier times, at least a bit more complete.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

My yellows:
Actually gone. Now an 86 deep purple
Actually gone. Now an 86 deep purple
DF7C31EE-1FF1-46AD-8695-1B20659000AB.png (705.6 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
The North America bike
The North America bike
585DBBD9-A882-4E4E-82E4-F6D266D49A8C.jpeg (370.29 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
OK, only the flames are yellow
OK, only the flames are yellow
C9FDCBC2-528A-4134-842C-0E94036714BF.jpeg (377.38 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I got around to some more photogenic work. I finally got all the parts for my clutch, so I can finally call that one 100%.

Initially I was going to leave this lifter arm oil seal alone, because it didn't show any sign of leaks. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized if I DID leave it alone, it would be the only thing on the back end of the engine to leak. So, in a new seal went.

Again, not much to see, but the clutch is done and the back end is nearly as clean as it's going to get. And the one thing I learned is that I would NOT want to do this with the motor in the frame.

But since the back end is done, it's time to turn to the front.

I managed to get my hands on a replacement front bolt kit. Which is good, because the VERY first screw I attempted to take off I spun the head off. It's the upper right one (as seen in the photo), right by the water passage. Thankfully I managed to get it off without gakking up the front cover TOO much, although I may end up needing a washer on that particular hole. Either way, I didn't get much deeper than this. I need to get psyched up before dealing with all them o-rings...

Until next time!

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

The replacement o-ring for the oil screen cover arrived today, so I took that apart, cleaned the screen, and popped it all back together, replacing the JIS screws with allen head replacements (thanks Robin). Overall it wasn't bad- there was a bit of grit, but it broke apart with enough applications of brake parts cleaner. In any case, my oil screen is now cleaned out, the seal replaced, and bolts renewed. One more thing to cross off the list.

I also got another present from another NGWinger in the mail. It's not something that I'll be installing anytime soon, but still very nice to have.

The muffler I had was nice, but definitely "functional". Bit o' damage on the chrome covers, some rusty bits on the underside of the chrome tips- usable, but given the opportunity to upgrade? Why not.

It still needs a hit of some paint, but hey- what GL1000 horse collar doesn't? Heck, I consider it a bi-yearly maintenance issue at this point. Either way, a pretty stock exhaust it always a thing of beauty.