NGW Project in Maine - 1983 Interstate

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

NGW Project in Maine - 1983 Interstate

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Episode One

My youngest son and I have been riding together, wrenching together, and enjoying it. He's a senior in high school, and we decided a few months ago that it might be fun to have a motorcycle project for winter.

Hobbled by a self-imposed budget of "super cheap," we tried to jump on the slim pickings as they came up: CB750K; CB550; CB450. We drove long distances and down dirt roads to rural sheds, but nothing quite moved us. We kept stumbling on ads for '80s GoldWings, but we weren't looking for a touring machine with a fairing, trunk, and 75 pounds of chromed steel and plastic mostly for show. Then we started thinking naked GoldWing. We saw cafe racer mods, bobbers, more basic approaches and thought, why not? Low center of gravity and a meaty boxer motor that just looks cool.

Come mid-October, after growing more frustrated and widening our geographic search, we hit an ad for a butt-ugly '83 Interstate that "used to run," with new tires and fork seals - for $200. 45 minutes away! We took a drive with cash, made a deal, and returned later to load it up on a trailer.
1983 GL1100 Interstate, loaded for the ride home.
1983 GL1100 Interstate, loaded for the ride home.
IMG_20201017_130502.jpg (340.89 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
It doesn't look it, but the bike is complete (or complete for our purposes), as we have several boxes of parts, including side panels in decent shape. The seat is ripped in a few places, but it's there.

The previous owner had put in some $, including really nice Michelin tires (0 miles on them), a new rear brake rotor (not sure why, as the rear caliper desperately needs a rebuild), and serious time on what is a not-so-good - and incomplete - rattle can paint job. (He had taken all the parts off the bike to prime and paint, and he had partially reassembled it - all before abandoning the project couple years ago.)

Once home, we started removing the bling.
83 Interstate in the driveway. Trunk removed as a starting point.
83 Interstate in the driveway. Trunk removed as a starting point.
IMG_20201017_141928.jpg (324.38 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Most on this site will know about the 100 pound+ pile of steel and plastic that comes off in a naked project. Our pile of "stuff" came to 150 pounds, likely owing to the aftermarket steel cage mounted around the bags and trunk.

One of the coolest finds in our work so far has been the remnants of a snake that hibernated under the fairing weight and shed its skin.
One never knows what might lurk behind the mysterious weight that must not be removed.
One never knows what might lurk behind the mysterious weight that must not be removed.
IMG_20201024_121124.jpg (195.76 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Neat - and far more interesting than the three blind, dead mice we found in the trunk.

Stay tuned. We've got more to share, as we've done quite a bit since mid-October. And we have a long way to go before it's on the road again.

Spoiler alert: It now runs, starts quite willingly, and doesn't smoke after about the first 30 seconds.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: NGW Project in Maine - 1983 Interstate

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Seems like a solid base for a cool project. And you know what? Even though I owned a Standard 1200 for a LONG time and loved it, after much reflection I think the '83 1100 had the prettiest lines.

Looking forward to see what what comes of this.

(Oh yeah, and make sure to change the belts!)
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks. The first thing we ordered were belts.

When we flushed the coolant as part of the "start after a long lay up" process, we noticed a wobble in the water pump impeller. The gasket kit for that repair just arrived last week. One step forward reveals two more steps needed to put it on the road. The bike is not something that needs just a bath, flushed fluids, and a rider. It's a "project" acquisition, to be sure.

On the 1200s: Once we started looking at GoldWings for the winter project, we noticed that the 1200 false tank seemed to have "flares" in the lowers. We didn't actually visit and touch a 1200, but I imagined it would involve work to delete the flares that flow the false tank into the fairing. I suppose, too, that an 1100 cover might bolt up to the 1200. But we don't need to cross that bridge - on this build, anyway.

The '83, we've come to learn, has some one-year 1100 features, which is both interesting and potentially tricky in terms of parts acquisition. Last weekend, when pulling the cover for the water pump, we unexpectedly encountered the neutral switch. Fun. I think that placement may separate the '83 from the earlier 1100s. Small and probably insignificant overall, but quirky.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Welcome to the addiction. One old bike is how it starts. Have fun and enjoy the quality time with your Son. They go away too soon.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Looks like a good start! Yes, the '83 models have a lot of one year only stuff. The brakes are 'linked' one front caliper and the rear being actuated by the foot pedal. The caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits are specific to '83, as well. The '83 Aspencade brakes are different still, so be careful if you're buying used parts online.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Welcome and good looking bike for a project. Enjoy the time with your son, look forward to following your project.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

This is really a great group. I'm glad I decided to stop lurking and running with info gleaned from the tech help and start contributing by sharing what we're up to.

Episode Two
I now see that it's customary to "name" a project. We don't have a name for this beast, but the snakeskin in the wiring had me thinking of Snake Pliskin, as in, "One might escape from New York, LA, or anywhere." Up here in Maine, we have our own "LA," Lewiston-Auburn. Had we liberated the GW from a shed in LA, that would have seemed fitting for the project. A friend described it as something out of Road Warrior when I shared a photo with him.

Meditate on this, I will.

I'll also consult with my fellow learner, my son. In the meantime, here's another set of photos from the mild teardown (which will not involve pulling the motor, tank, and such). The tank is good, and we don't want to fix too much of what ain't broke.
Fairing, bags, and brackets removed. Getting nekkid.
Fairing, bags, and brackets removed. Getting nekkid.
IMG_20201018_162918.jpg (320.54 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
The first few weeks of work happened right in the driveway. Our shed is 4' off the ground and up steps. We wanted to try to get it running and rolling freely before trying to push it up a ramp into the shed. Mom/wife was not happy, and there was a trashy vibe for awhile, but it's Maine. Our neighbors raise chickens, we have coyotes and foxes walking through the yard, and behind me is a guy with a full-blown construction business operation. Eyesore? Sure. Out of place? Not really.
It's not a full dresser without tips, it seems.
It's not a full dresser without tips, it seems.
IMG_20201018_175701.jpg (163.51 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
The pipes. Interesting. One wasn't too tough to remove. The other took about 4 days of on/off persuasion, with heat and PBB. Eventually, she gave way.
Evidence that Snake Pliskin was here.
Evidence that Snake Pliskin was here.
IMG_20201025_115946.jpg (175.55 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Not sure what we'll do with this thing. Maybe it's trash. I think it needs a safe home on the bike, perhaps in the headlight bucket.

Active Project(s)

Sold
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

that old replacement snake skin is almost certainly from a Pantherophis guttatus, a very beautiful and harmless snake.
in Italy it is said that snakeskin brings good luck, and when peasants find it in the fields, they put a small piece of it in their wallet.
so it will definitely be a lucky project!
good continuation
Paola (Italy)
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Holy smokes! Thanks for the herpetological lesson. I figured a garter snake - or maybe a red-bellied snake, though it'd be a huge one. Maine doesn't have any native poisonous species - though the bike has bounced around New England for 37 years, and with 55K, it might have done serious time in places with actual, real deadly snakes.

I love the tidbit about peasants, snakeskins, and luck. It's settled: We find a place for it on or in the bike. Maybe we immerse it in acrylic or epoxy and put it in the little tool bin in the faux tank area. Or perhaps it sits between the tank and the seat bottom. Hmm. We'll take it as a good omen.

Active Project(s)

Sold
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

The rear master cylinder is unique and can be an issue ... a gl1800 master will work

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I hard, I wonder, would it be to de-link the brakes and replace both masters with earlier 1100 ones? Only if the masters are shot, of course.

Yeah, a lot of guys want to strip down the 1200s. It's easy to do, but hard to well, and nearly impossible to do if you want to convert it to a Standard. Shelter is wrong (as you saw, a vast majority of 1200 shelters blend into the fairing, leaving a gaping hole if the fairing is removed), radiator wings are wrong, a BUNCH of headlight, horn, blinker and front fork pieces need to be sourced, and that's only the front end. There are workarounds, but Standards show up enough that if you NEED one, it's cheaper than converting.

You'll have plenty of fun with your 83 anyway. I was going to recommend something with clear epoxy and some milling/shaping for that snakeskin. Heck, there's options right there with that handlebar clamp....

Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I've often thought that if I ever decided on taking on a 1200 as a project that instead of trying to make it completely naked and trying to overcome all the issues with the shelter and headlight and turn signals that I would just embrace the front fairing an turn it into a Honda F6B clone.
5fc25d85a180d342cb7451a7.jpg
5fc25d85a180d342cb7451a7.jpg (183.74 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
5fc25d5d30563636fe0d7c95.jpg
5fc25d5d30563636fe0d7c95.jpg (56.79 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Excellent tip on the GL1800 rear master as a workable swap for the 83 GL1100. (Thanks Gord!) And on GL1200s and going nekkid, I guess our instincts were right.

We're first going to attempt a rebuild of both MCs as part of our brake work. If the rear MC can't be primed and made to behave, I guess it's eBay and maybe one off an 1800. I'm optimistic about our chances of rehabilitating the masters.

Linked brakes. There's a lot to read about pros/cons. My son and I tend to be pretty intentional about application of brakes, and separate controls for front and rear is what we're used to. The thought that applying pedal force includes the possible "bonus" of front braking is a little disconcerting. And yet lots of folks report that it's super effective, works well, etc. I'd guess that Honda thought things through and tested extensively as well. Don't overthink it and ride. Link brakes didn't go away after 1983, so they can't have been an engineering disaster akin to Ford's Pinto gas tank design.

The plan - at least right now - is to stay with what's on the bike, so linked. Now, if we run into a problem with the splitter - and I've been down a little Internet rabbit hole on some of that stuff - perhaps delinking is in order. It looks pretty straightforward, with the possible exception of too much force getting applied to the rear and an undersized front caliper piston. Some report a fairly easy delink experience with wonderful results, and perhaps an overly responsive pedal feel; others describe swapping in a suitably matched right caliper as part of the build. And there are options for running lines. Whatever we ultimately end up with, the wisdom on this site is like a well-worn path through that wilderness, with trail markers clearly visible - and guides ready to offer assistance at every fork in the path.

In the coming week(s), I'll share a few photos of what we found on brake disassembly and document a sort of "before and after" on the brake parts. My son is on caliper and master cylinder duty. Alas, college application season, high school midterms, his own bike, and his weekend job - oh, and the girlfriend! - are occupying most of his time. The calipers and masters sit in a bucket, mostly disassembled and awaiting attention.

Active Project(s)

Sold
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

As far as linked brakes go- I had them on my 1200.

It took me about 5 years to realize I did.

Unless you plan on pushing the thing right to the bleeding edge of it's performance capability on a track day, I wouldn't sweat it.

NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

On linked brakes, thanks for the real-world report from the field. We won't be pushing the bike anywhere near its limits, I'm certain. If it was a track bike we wanted, we probably wouldn't have started with an Interstate!

Active Project(s)

Sold