Area for discussion of the Honda Valkyrie

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: I Did a Thing (New Bike)

Post by Whiskerfish »

Too bad it did not have true Valk Bags on it. The lines are perfect and they looks awesome on a GL1000.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Yeah, I'm not too broken up about it though. I was planning on replacing them with leather (or leather-adjacent) type bags later on, so any hard bags wouldn't be permanent. It'd be nice to sell them and get at least a decent price out of them.

Did a quick coolant change after work today, and I am SO happy to have a drain bolt that's vertical- it just makes things nicer. The overflow tank got a bit of an interior wipe-down too. I DID, however, learn about the Cobra chrome radiator cap trim with it's SAE Allen set screw (???) and stock radiator cap with IT'S set screw (that I honestly can't remember if I put back in), and is some fun "culture shock" (or at least as close as you can get with a new bike). BUT- cross one off the winter maintenance list.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Pulled a few more pieces off that I'm sure I'm never going to use. Namely, the hard bags.

Initially the bag mounts were going too, but apparently they are purpose-made Honda mounts and SUPER-hard to find. So I will probably make them work (because they are actually quite nice). The rear rack is going away as well, to be replaced with a fender mounted one later, but I'll have to find a way to make the supports for it work, because the grab handle for the passenger works too well for helping with the center stand.

I also got a good shot of the rear fender dent.

I'm debating if I want to do anything about this, and if so, exactly what. Theoretically it will be hidden behind the new saddlebags, but I'd like to do something to stop the rust as well. Either way- future problems.

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I decided to throw on some new handlebars while waiting on other parts. I haven't 100% nailed down all the details of what I want to turn this bike into, but I've got some of the generalities. I was never a fan of the bars it came with, so I'm trying to flatten the lines out of the bike as best I can. Which means lower handlebars.

I'm encouraged by the direction. I think I'll need some risers to pull the bars back a bit more than they are- it's a bit of a reach to get to them, and I've got some cable/hydraulic line binding, but I think a bit more pullback will solve both.

Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Nice stuff there.

On my list of bikes to have also.....
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Timbox
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Timbox »

You got that for a great price, I paid the same but not an interstate. I picked mine up this spring, she need TLC. Carbs are a dream to work on compared to many bikes out there. I had to use two retching straps to get all the air box to carb boots back on, a little tricky.

Check the top radiator connector too, mine had pulled away from the factory stamping.

I like the looks of those bars...you will love the roll on power of those six cylinders!
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I use my Valk almost exclusively for long jaunts. I think Honda got it right. The riding position - and most importantly ARM position - is natural and very comfortable for long-duration rides. While aesthetics are certainly important on a motorcycle, I am (mostly) a firm believer in function over form.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I'm doing my best to get as close to both as possible. The handlebars it came with were a complete non-starter (almost straight up ape-hangers), and I'd swap in a set of stock bars, if it weren't for the same thing Honda did with the Valk that they did with my old Standard 1200- those blasted mini-ape bars!

True, riding position wasn't bad, but the looks drove me nuts every time I saw them. The current bars are close (I'd imagine) to how I was set up on my old 1200- they just need to come a bit farther back so my arms aren't locked straight forwards. That way I get to the same place with the grips, but without the massive up-and-down swoop of unused handlebar.

(I may end up running something like 5" risers, so it still may end up looking a bit goofy, but I'm still tweaking it.)

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Definitely looks better without the fairing and the top box (although a top box is mighty handy). A couple of years ago I bought a Valk for a project, can't remember the year but it was a standard. Thought I might like to keep it after getting it back in shape but just never could adjust to the riding position. Took a year to sell it at way below what it should have brought. I finally got $3000 for it from an older guy (my age, retired) who had never ridden a bike at all but wanted to learn (!) He hauled it back to Brownsville and it probably ended up in Mexico.

We have some property in North Carolina where we RV a couple months during the hot season here in Texas. My friend and neighbor there has a Full dress Valk (OEM) that he insists I ride from time to time. Frankly I don't really care for it. Much heavier seemingly than my 1800 and doesn't track as well through the mountains. I know I would like it much better if it was the naked standard model.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: I Did a Thing: Valk Build/Mod Thread

Temps got up to 41 F today, and are supposed to plunge tomorrow, so I figured I'd get the old girl into the sun for a minute and show off what the current status of the bike is.

It definitely feels a bit more nimble with the windshield off- it's nothing to do with the windshield, I'm just getting more used to it and have a better view of the road in front of me. I'm still babying the throttle to figure out what the powerband is like, but I like what I've seen so far.

Handlebars are pretty good, but I'm not 100% sold yet. I'm currently running Harley Deuce risers, and the quality is fantastic. However it'd be nice to have a bit less rise and a touch more pullback. I had a different set of risers that accomplished this, but the build quality was much worse and I didn't trust them for a road test. I may play with some other ideas, but for the moment this will work fine.

Either way, it's nice to see it properly out of the garage for once.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Looks good! Nice to see a Valk (or any bike) in the sun in Michigan in January.

Unless you're going to take the little lady along often, why not pull the pillion pad? It's a great look with just the solo seat. I ran mine that way for a season - and still would except that the Valkryie is pretty much the only bike I have that my wife wants to ride. Sooo....
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

Consider the stock bars. The ones that I have are as comfortable as can be.
A Wide grip is good when maneuvering around my fat girl.

Your bike looks very sharp.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

desertrefugee wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:54 pm ...Unless you're going to take the little lady along often, why not pull the pillion pad?
That was probably going to happen at some point anyway. Part of the reason I was willing to let go of the rear rack was because eventually I was going to relocate it to above the fender, where the pillion seat is now.

I may try to modify a Trail 90 (small) rack to fit with the same mounting holes. Then I can either swap it with the stock rear seat or get the buddy seat that bolts directly to the rear rack like the Trail 90 did. I'm still deciding.

I'm still nailing down details of the overall final look, but I'm looking at a bunch of '40s bike designs for inspiration. BMWs, Indians, Harleys, Sunbeam, etc. We'll see.

sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

Sadly, the day of aftermarket manufacturing is gone for these bikes for the most part. And when you do find a decent used piece, it costs just as much or more than when new. For a solo seat, keep your eye out for the rail. They really look nice and 40ish.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I'm picking away at some detail parts before the riding season gets here in earnest, and one of those concerns the grab rails. The center stand for this beast is aftermarket, and now exceedingly rare. It came with two lifting handles, but unfortunately they bolted to the rear rack. Once I lost the rack, I lost the handles as well.

The look was much better, but the functionality had plummeted to zero. Solution?

Step 1- Replace the Standard rear fender rails with Interstate rails (the difference being Interstate rails have mounting hardware for the larger truck rack).

Step 2- Bolt on a new grab rail to the new studs.

It took a while to find a handle with the correct hole spacing, and I still had to do some drilling, but the end result is rather clean. I may cut off and clean up the ends, but then I'm not 100% how I want to seal the newly bare non-chromed metal. The other option is to use at least one of the extra holes to mount a helmet lock or two- I've got a cheap-ish one coming in the mail to experiment.

The other thing I ran into is that the studs the handle is bolted to are not level- the rear is JUST a touch lower. It looks okay, but I think there's enough meat on the bars to bend the one side down a little. This should level out the bars and get them looking that much better.

Until then, I've got a functional way to use the center stand again, and one that won't get in the way of bag lids (once I find THOSE).