Oh Man - Here We Go Again

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh Man - Here We Go Again

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Okay, so, you might have seen my previous posts wondering about the differences between the '78 and '79 GL1000's...and I'll tell you why...

So I'm wandering through the Craigslist ads (Bad Idea, I know) and came across THIS beauty - a 1978 GL1000!
Image1978 GL1000 Where I Found Her I by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

A phone call or two, and THIS happened - (yes, that's my truck...)
ImageDSCN1927 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

So for better or for worse, I have picked up ANOTHER GL1000! ( I might call this one 'Peanuts', because it's True - You Can't Have Just One!).

The PO said it's been languishing behind his house for about ten years, but it's all there. Just over 88K on the clock; and a KEY, too! action1
ImageDSCN1929 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr
Triage shows nice orange coolant, so I hope that bears out...the rust isn't too bad, and should be remedied with a Brillo pad; as far as the muffler ends go, I know I can't save the chrome there, so actually I was thinking about just shooting them with Hi-Temp black grill paint; that might actually look pretty good, too.

Isn't it Amazing how you can talk yourself into something...? To be fair, it only cost me $350, and I had a little 'windfall' so was able to put that money back into my account - so my total out-of-pocket expense so far has been about twenty bucks. (I mean, What Would YOU Have Done...??;)

SO anyway - I got her home and stripped her down yesterday, and she looks a Heckofalot better:
ImageDSCN1957 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

This is interesting though - Check out these air shocks...were these an Add-On or anything, or did the PO just change them out...?
ImageDSCN1933 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

This one was 'flat', and before I figured out the 'secret' I had a helluva time trying to lift her onto the centerstand - this bike is heavier than my '75. I put some air into it and Up she went! Made it a lot easier to get her on the stand.
ImageDSCN1934 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

I was worried about what she looked like inside, but was pleasantly surprised...
ImageDSCN1954 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

It actually doesn't look too bad -
ImageDSCN1953 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

The battery of course was Toast...
ImageDSCN1946 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

But what is that curved piece there...foot rest mount...?
ImageDSCN1943 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

Pretty unique place for a fuse box...(Does the '78 have a tool tray?)…
ImageDSCN1931 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

Speaking of wiring...does anything look out of sorts here...?
ImageDSCN1951 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

The points look kind of munched..
ImageDSCN1955 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

And I also found a rubber covering over the headlight bucket, but for some reason Flickr won't let me copy it...she has about a quarter tank of bad gas in there, but it's still sloshing around - it's not solidified or gunked up, so at least that's not too bad...no title either, but that's no problem.

Anyway, today is Cleaning Day, so I'm going to hose her off and get her up on the Slab and start seeing what's what...
And Yes, I know -"Change Your Belts"! :lol:

Oh, Man - Here We Go Again! anim-cheers1
Last edited by Dr. Frankenstein on Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Oh Man - Here We Go Again

Post by Liam »

Amazing how much better it looks once you take off all the aftermarket stuff, which in my view are generally the parts that age worst. That tailpipe on the exhaust muffler is an add on too. If you took them off the exhaust system loses most of the rust.

In terms of what would I have done regarding the 20 bucks, well, the same as you.
Enjoy your day cleaning.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

There was a black rubber almost like a tupperwear lid that was put over the headlight bucket when you removed the bulb to install the Vetter. Supposed to keep the electrics in there dry I guess. Yes there should be a tool tray there. the fuse box should hang from a rubber strap at the front of that compartment. Looks like the inspection sticker is from 03? Closer to 20 years than 10. Have you rotated the engine yet?
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, I noticed the tail-pipe - see the little screws...? So the original tail-pipe end may be underneath that...? (I haven't checked yet...).

And No, I haven't rotated the engine yet - so there might still be a surprise in there...but it rolls fine. And even if there Is a problem, that's cool too because I kind of want to take one apart just to do it...but of course if it Ain't Broke I'm not going to 'fix' it! :lol:

Anything with this year to keep an eye out for?
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

>>Anything with this year to keep an eye out for?<<
Not really. Just make sure the frame is not rotted out. Setting out in the weather is hard on them, because the drain holes rapidly get plugged and water remains inside the lower frame rails. I'd plan on pulling the engine, stripping the frame and repainting, full carb rebuild, tank cleaning, full brake system rebuild, pull all electrical connectors and clean/rebuild. And as with all - first change the belts! The "three yellow wire" fix of your choice, new tires, doing something with the seat (the aftermarket K&Q can be carved, refoamed with carpet padding, and recovered with a new cover), pulling the fairing and bag mounts then finding headlight and fittings to go in the old bucket. Yep, a real bargain. Plan on putting another $1000 to $1500 into it.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gosh, is that all...? :lol:

"Plan on putting another $1000 to $1500 into it." I hear ya...

Well-as Johnny Cash says - "one piece at a time."
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Whiskerfish wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:52 am There was a black rubber almost like a tupperwear lid that was put over the headlight bucket when you removed the bulb to install the Vetter. Supposed to keep the electrics in there dry I guess.
They supplied the cover for the headlight bucket because the original headlight & ring moved to the fairing.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed the fairing's wiring plugs into the bike's original wiring so you should be able to remove it without cutting any wires.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:12 am
Whiskerfish wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:52 am There was a black rubber almost like a tupperwear lid that was put over the headlight bucket when you removed the bulb to install the Vetter. Supposed to keep the electrics in there dry I guess.
They supplied the cover for the headlight bucket because the original headlight & ring moved to the fairing.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed the fairing's wiring plugs into the bike's original wiring so you should be able to remove it without cutting any wires.
Every Veter have removed was spliced in with those gawd-awful Scotchlok connectors.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

IDCs aren't really splices. You can remove them and patch the insulation with Liquid Electric Tape.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

I know that technically splicing refers to end to end connection of 2 segments of rope or cable (traditionally by intertwining the strands at each end) but those scotchlock things are called splices by many. Probably initially by the same person that started to call bevel gearboxes pumpkins or differentials. They are classified also as connectors but in my view they barely qualify. Strangely enough, IDC connectors are widely used elsewhere, for Telephone cable marshalling and also the RJ45 connectors used for Cat5,6,7 etc used worldwide for network cabling. In these applications the connections are reliable.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Liam wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:18 pm I know that technically splicing refers to end to end connection of 2 segments of rope or cable (traditionally by intertwining the strands at each end) but those scotchlock things are called splices by many. Probably initially by the same person that started to call bevel gearboxes pumpkins or differentials. They are classified also as connectors but in my view they barely qualify. Strangely enough, IDC connectors are widely used elsewhere, for Telephone cable marshalling and also the RJ45 connectors used for Cat5,6,7 etc used worldwide for network cabling. In these applications the connections are reliable.
Ihave used. in a work environment , those "good ones". They are nothing like the ones most people find on their bikes. For one thing, when crimped, they expel a sealant into the joint. But I do agree, the best type of connection is done with end to end . inter woven connections that are soldered . Or at least a rat tail splice, that is soldered. (and that how I do it) lolol
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

All I meant was that IDCs are temporary and splices are usually more permanent. And that (unless the conductor is badly corroded) IDCs can be reversed so cutting the wires should not be necessary.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

I've started the process of taking apart and cleaning the bike, but came across this on the oil level window - what is this for?
ImageDSCN1968 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

My '75 doesn't have that, and I can't figure out why there would be a flat head screw (??) in the middle of the window...

It actually doesn't look too bad inside - note the original (?) Honda belts (and Yes, I have some Gates T274 replacements on the way...).
ImageDSCN1966 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

The engine turns over by hand, which is good, and the coolant looked fresh when I emptied it, there was no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil...the brake reservoirs were dry and empty though, and I cringe at how expensive the brakes are going to be to rebuild..."Buy the ticket, take the ride," as Hunter Thompson says...
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

The flat head screw is sort of wiper blade for the inside of the sight glass. Designed to clean the glass from the inside to assist you in checking the oil level.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

That slot head screw is for the sight glass wiper. When you turn it a little windshield wiper like arm smears the crud on the inside of the glass.

BTW: A flat head screw looks like this

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”