clarification on originality

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

clarification on originality

Post by Paola Zago »

having to intervene on the final drive of my LTD, I bought some parts to replace, including the oil-seal part number 91265-371-003 from a famous German Honda parts dealer. When it arrived, my mechanic after checking it said that it is not an original part as it does not have a knurling inside that guides the oil path, but that it is a simple industrial oil-seal. in fact it did not come in the classic Honda packages that also have the ticket with the part list number, but it was inside an anonymous plastic bag. I paid 28 euros plus 20 euros for shipping. I went to a nearby spare parts shop for tractors, excavators and bulldozers, and found it identical, not the original with the knurling, but smooth like the one I got on Ebay, and it cost only 2.90 euros. Can anyone confirm that this original oil-seal has the knurling? the mechanic says it is very important that this knurling is there.
Paola
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: clarification on originality

Post by Whiskerfish »

Sorry I have never rebuilt a final Drive. Hopefully someone has and remembers.

Item number 22 in this drawing
Final drive.jpg
Final drive.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 217 times
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Since the original part has been discontinued by Honda, and there are only a few listed on US Ebay that are "supposed" to be original parts, I think the question is moot. You're probably going to have to use it. Too bad the supplier stabbed you on the price.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I have seen the knurling on other oil seals. Case in point is the '85 Limited Edition engine crank oil seal P/N 91201-MG9-005 size 35X59X8. The oil seal for the 1500 is 91209-MN5-003 size 35X59X8. There is no knurling on the 1500 oil seal and the part is interchangeable. There is no oil pressure on the oil seal you mention - use the new oil seal if needs be. I've had my 1200 FD apart a couple of times and a 1500 FD as well to clean the inside after years of poor maintenance. The knurling is a mute point as mentioned for the oil seal on the FD.

As an aside, the 1500 FD will work if you have an issue with the 1200 FD. You will have to drill out the swing arm bolt holes to suit. The 1500 FD is a direct replacement for the 1200 FD and all other 1200 parts work, no need to change out any of the 1200 parts for 1500 parts.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I think he's working on a 1000 LTD. He's also in Italy so he's using an internet translator. Abbreviations won't translate. FD= Final Drive.

Paola please put your bike year and model in your signature so we won't have to guess and please put your location in your profile so we know where you are.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

thank you very much Sagebrush, for the clarification.
I apologize for not having entered my data, I was convinced that I have already done so.
good day everyone!
Paola

Return to “GoldWing Tech Discussions”