Popping out exhaust

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

tory
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Popping out exhaust

Post by tory »

I actually have turned the screw all the way in, and out to 3.5 turns. But the popping persist.
1978 GL1000
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
With California Sidecar
1965 CA95 Benly
tory
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by tory »

Whiskerfish wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm If the comp is good I doubt you are off by a tooth but it is a relatively easy check if it would help you get it off the list.

Dos the idle drop work on the # 1 carb?
What do you mean by idle drop
1978 GL1000
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
With California Sidecar
1965 CA95 Benly
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

What happened to the engine when you turned the screw all the way in? Did it stall a bit or was there any change in the idle?
Is the temperature of the exhaust pipe hotter or cooler than the others?
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

tory wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:33 pm
Whiskerfish wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm If the comp is good I doubt you are off by a tooth but it is a relatively easy check if it would help you get it off the list.

Dos the idle drop work on the # 1 carb?
What do you mean by idle drop
https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43626#p453009
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Idle drop is recommended by the book for the later EC Carbs but is an excellent indicator of carb function for all years. If you do not have a RPM Drop when performing the test odds are very high that the idle circuit in the carb is not functioning.
1984 GL1200 Standard

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Whiskerfish wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:30 pm Idle drop is recommended by the book for the later EC Carbs but is an excellent indicator of carb function for all years. If you do not have a RPM Drop when performing the test odds are very high that the idle circuit in the carb is not functioning.
Remove that carburetor's air/fuel mixture adjuster screw. Examine its pointed end to determine if it may have been broken off and is now, :( irretrievably stuck in the carburetor body.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
tory
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by tory »

cfairweather wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:39 pm What happened to the engine when you turned the screw all the way in? Did it stall a bit or was there any change in the idle?
Is the temperature of the exhaust pipe hotter or cooler than the others?
The pipe on that cylinder is indeed cooler than the others.
1978 GL1000
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
With California Sidecar
1965 CA95 Benly
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

That probably means less fuel is getting through the idle circuit on that cylinder. I bet when you turn your idle screw all the way in, no change is noticed. The most likely thing that is plugged, is the slow idle jet. They must be perfectly clean or the tiny #35 jet hole gets plugged when some foreign particles go into the idle circuit. The next most likely thing would be the idle discharge tube; the tiny tube that stands up in the venturi next to the butterfly. This may or may not be part of the popping, but it is a good starting point.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

One other suggestion I would add is if you still are using the oe Honda header pipes you should inspect them to ensure that the inner smaller tube has not come loose, probably not your problem but when this does happen it will cause all kinds of weird problems that are hard to trace, from a strange rattle to run issues.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

redglbx wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:01 am One other suggestion I would add is if you still are using the oe Honda header pipes you should inspect them to ensure that the inner smaller tube has not come loose, probably not your problem but when this does happen it will cause all kinds of weird problems that are hard to trace, from a strange rattle to run issues.
I have seen 3 of these now on junkers I picked up. Makes me wonder if bikes parked in the past were done so because they could not figure out why they ran poorly.
1984 GL1200 Standard

BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

This thread is proof of the great people on this forum. The suggestions and help offered is just awesome.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

👍👍

Personally I am not a fan of the OE factory headers because besides the double walled pipes that tend to fail with time , and are a much smaller crossection than the od would make you think. Honda just ran the rear cylinder pipes basically into the side the front cylinder pipes, very bad for flow. But most of the aftermarket headers actually employ some kind of an actual collector which improves the exhaust flow, plus they have a larger single walled pipe diameter than the OE’s.

On my 76 I went with a chromed set of head pipes that were popular way back then (can’t remember the brand name) and there was a noticeable butt dyno improvement, but keep in mind that I had a failed inner pipe so another new oe pipe might have been noticeably better as well. But the replacement head pipes have a very nice collector and being an old hot rodder that has to be much better,,, right ?

I will add that I still am using the much maligned oe muffler which is actually quite good but the consensus has been that it can’t work well because it’s so quiet but my experience is that it is not a liability until you’re in the 80-90 rwhp range, I think the oe head pipes are a much bigger problem, but that’s my .02,,,, gotta have more coffee.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I read an article about Lang Hindle years ago that quoted him as saying that the loudest pipes rarely produce more power....

As I understand it loud pipes only give the impression of being faster because nobody wants to be close behind you :orange :orange :orange
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

I always found I was slower on louder pipes both because they made me think I was attracting unwanted official attention, and the noise offended even me. So I always rolled off.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

In the time I got on my buddies dyno either using it or observing others bikes being ran on it rarely, very rarely did a set of aftermarket pipes/mufflers outperform the factory stuff, most made less power and usually significantly less. They usually only made more noise.

The only exception to this was when the Harley guy’s used Screaming Eagle stuff which always made more power along with a little bit more noise, really good stuff ! One of the worst examples was on my buddies Valkyrie when he put a set of 6 into 6 pipes on it that (can’t remember the brand) that were popular at the time, very cool looking with a lot more noise and lost a minimum of 10% power & torque everywhere, just junk pipes.

I would’ve liked to have been able to dyno the oe double walled head pipes vs the aftermarket header type on my wing but it just wasn’t a possibility at the time. Everything I know about exhaust header type pipes is wrong on the oe’s. But one lesson I learned in my time on the dyno is what you think you know is usually wrong,,, the dyno doesn’t lie!
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que