Ricks Motorsport Starter - GL1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

RSTman
Tin Member
Tin Member

Ricks Motorsport Starter - GL1000

Post by RSTman »

Hi guy's.
Two questions:
Does anyone have experience installing the Ricks starter motor on a GL1000? I noticed they come with a new chain sprocket. I'm wondering if the splined shaft on the Ricks motor gearbox is the same as stock, I really don't want to find it doesn't fit the original sprocket, I've had the motor out of the bike too many times already!
What's wrong with my stock starter motor?
My stock motor I think is finished, it has a recon sticker on it dated sometime in the 90's. I have cleaned it and fitted new brushes last year and it worked well for a while but stopped working a few days ago. Battery is good and to make sure the motor was jump lead tested from another battery with the same result. Not to be defeated I stripped it fully, tested it electrically. Found a worn bush in the gearbox, made a new one, fitted a new bearing, skimmed the commutator on my lathe and deepened the grooves, checked and made sure the brush plate earthed correctly with the cover. Motor will turn the engine with spark plugs out, but stalls out with them in. A bit reluctant to spend out on a new motor since I can't categorically say what's wrong with the original. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jerry
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Ricks Motorsport Starter - GL1000

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Before you go any further try turning the engine with a wrench to make sure the problem really is the starter motor.

I have removed and reinstalled the sprocket with the engine in the bike many times (turned out a carb issue was killing the starter motors). It is very easy.
Any difference in a number of factors (such as the pitch angle of the splines) will prevent the original sprocket from fitting so most aftermarket starter motors come with new sprockets to make sure it fits & works right.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
RSTman
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by RSTman »

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to get the sprocket out through the starter mounting hole in the case then?
Everything points to the starter, the engine turns over fine on the kick start. Starts and runs fine. Bumped it down a slope the other day and it started easily and ran normally (well). It took me two sets of carbs and multiple builds to get them right, I'm pretty confident I don't have an issue with them but you can never know for sure I guess!

Jerry
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yeah, that does sound like the starter motor.

Once the starter motor is out the only thing holding the sprocket in the hole is its teeth engaging with the chain Just lift it up a bit and it should come right out.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
RSTman
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by RSTman »

Thanks for the info. I assumed there wasn't enough room to get the sprocket out so have never tried.
Time to spend out I guess, again!

Jerry

Return to “GoldWing Tech Discussions”