Comstars question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

sandback
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Comstars question

Post by sandback »

Hey folks, I have a couple of questions on the Comstars (78 GL1000). I am looking at putting a pair of those on my 76 GL1000, but would like to solicit some opinions first.

1) Are they any good? I did some research and found that the Comstars are reputed to be reliable, and good for tubeless, but not very attractive. Of course I would like Lesters, but for the application I am thinking about, I would rather experiment on Comstars...

2) Will they work on the 76? Again, I did some research and found a remarkable lack of information regarding backward compatability. I did find a site in the UK that said the 78 Comstars were a direct bolt on replacement for the 75-77 spoke wheels. I am looking for confirmation.

3) Has anyone painted them? My thought is to paint them to match my bike. I don't see any special issues or concerns, but you never know...

As always, I appreciate the advice and assistance from the good folks here at NGW. It is that attitude that keeps me coming back here to solve my 'Wing issues.

Thanks!
Scott
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Couple of things. They are not a direct bolt on. The speedo is on the wrong side and I think the brakes do not line up also. Try a search on the subject.

Also the 78 is not a tubless rim. Some folks run them as tubeless but they were released to be run with tubes.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Jarrett
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Jarrett »

1) I've never heard anything bad about comstars. There are lots of bikes rollin around with em.

2) I'm thinkin if you wanna use 78-79 Comstars on a 75-77 bike you gotta change the fork lowers and brakes over to the 78-79 style. The back wheel should bolt up.

3) Not sure
http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/album291
Jarrett
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Jarrett »

WF you must be a faster typer than me :-D
http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/album291
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Jarrett wrote:WF you must be a faster typer than me :-D
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

ElPiloto
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by ElPiloto »

Make sure the Comstars are straight. I tested 3 sets with a dial indicater before I found 2 good ones.
"Some Cats Got it, Some Cats Ain't"
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

the rears will direct exchange

to change the fronts you must:

1: change the fork lowers
2: change the brake calipers (can use the actual brake cylinder)
3: change the speedo
4: change the rotors

I believe there were some issues with the very first comstars, but otherwise that was solved

the rims are "tube-type", and yes they can be converted to tubeless, but only if you mount the tires yourself... no shop is willing to put a tubeless tire on a tubed rim, for liability issues
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Check these other threads

here

Sounds harder than it is.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

sandback
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by sandback »

WF, rcmatt,

Steve Saunders' FAQs state that these ARE a direct bolt on/no mod required http://www.goldwingfacts.com/FAQpage.htm
Q. I have a GL1000 Goldwing, 1976. The spoked wheels are almost rotted through and I know of a later (78 or 79) model with the aluminium wheels, laying in a breakers yard. Will they fit my bike?

A. They would be the Comstars fitted to the 1978 & 1979 models and yes they will bolt straight onto your machine.
I had thought this to be a relatively easy mod, but am now having some doubts. RC, what did you mean by "...can use the actual brake cylinder..."? Are the rotor replacements due to hole alignment (so presumably rotors for a 78 should fit right in)? Why would I need to replace the calipers? Replace the fork lowers?

If I replace the fork lowers, the front calipers, the rotors, and the wheel, what is left? That is a complete front end!

I read all of you LIMA-CHARLIE on the tubeless/tube required. No problem there. Tubes it is...

Other than the hit on Saunders faqs, I find very little on this topic.

Thanks!
Scott
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

They are wrong. The Caliper offset and position/ mounting is different. The Disc on a 78 are 5 holes and the 75-77 are 6 hole mounts. The caliper mount assembly is completely different. I will get some pics.

sandback
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by sandback »

WF, thanks. I appreciate that.

This is why I love NGW...
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

78 Disc offset

76 Disc offset

78 Caliper mounts

76 Caliper Mounts

78 5 Bolt pattern

76 6 Bolt Pattern

roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Scott,

Everything I've read says the rear wheel is a direct bolt on to the early (75-77) wings. My 76 was done by a PO and "I was told" when they tried to install it, the final drive would bind on the wheel. Their solution was to swap the final drive as well. I haven't read of anyone else having this problem, but as there were 4 final drive part numbers used on the early wings, I would suppose it is possible.

As for the front, if you unbolt the front wheel from a later 1000 (78,79), and transfer the whole assembly (wheel, rotors, and speedometer pickup) to the forks of an early 1000 (75-77) it will bolt right on. The only problem is the rotors on the comstar wheels are fractionally closer together than the rotors on the spoked wheels. To compensate I have a washer on each brake caliper mount bolts between the fork slider and the caliper mount. Trial and error to find the right thickness to line up the calipers with the rotors.

Washers on caliper mounts

Rotor lined up with caliper

76 fork slider with a 79 comstar mounted

78 slider with a 78 comstar mounted notice how much closer to each other the caliper mount bolts are

I see WF is on the ball with his pics. Oh, well here's some more :roll:
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

the caliper is the bracket which holds the brake cylinder (the black part with the piston and brake shoes)
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
sandback
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by sandback »

rcmatt, I was pretty clear on what a caliper is. My question to you was in your message about using original brake cylinder. Did you mean caliper?

roncar, whiskerfish, thanks for the pics. They clearly indicate that the Comstars are not a straight bolt-on. I am MUCH clearer now.

roncar, you give me hope that this will not be the major effort that it was beginning to look like.

Scott