Todd's "Hoping For a Quickie" refresh...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Todd's "Hoping For a Quickie" refresh...

Post by Track T 2411 »

The willing victim: One 1981 gl1100 Interstate.
Quickie 021212 08.jpg
Quickie 021212 08.jpg (74.61 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
Approximately 47,000 miles. Last licensed in 2008. Last owner wasn't mechanically inclined, but didn't ride much, either. Seems every long ride, something would fail (starter, rear flat tire, etc). He parked it due to a leaky fork seal, and problems with the carbs (gee, where have we heard that?). It's pretty complete, and in good overall condition, but I've noticed a few things while getting it to the shop.

My objective is to get this bike on the road as inexpensively as I can, while making sure of it's dependability and safety. As the adage goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" which is what I'm going to stick to, except for the typical "known issues," like timing belts, dogbone fuse, stator connector, etc.

The first step was getting it into the shop. Easier said than done!
Quickie 021212 02.jpg
Quickie 021212 02.jpg (70.6 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
My "workspace" is "back there" on the right, basically under the furnace. I had to move a number of discarded tires, a puked '57 ford transmission laying in a huge puddle of it's own blood, and other assorted "stuff" that has accumulated since December, the last time I cleaned that area of the shop (it's my FIL's, and I guess old habits die hard...).
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: Todd's "Hoping For a Quickie" refresh...

Post by rcmatt007 »

just pour something magical and mysterious into the carbs.... LOL

looks like this will be fun
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Step two is going to be a "comprehensive evaluation" to determine the bike's overall condition and attempt to estimate required work. Some parts may just migrate from the "Josie" project to this, seeing as I've already spent the money... I want to be pretty clear on the expense before I get too far into it, as, at some point, I might be just as well off putting my effort into "Josie" instead of having two piles of parts sucking up my gumption.

Step Two: Things to check:

1) Stator connection
2) Fuse block
3) Dogbone fuse
4) General wiring condition
5) Front and rear brake pads
6) Gas tank
7) Carbs
8) Rear shocks
9) Water pump
10) Thermostat
11) Plugs
12) Front forks

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure more stuff will pop up! Feel free to add to the list; anything I can do before getting in too deep will make me better prepared to get this bike on the road...

Good wrenchin'
Todd

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

out of that list, as you already know, carbs, brakes and waterpump are the $$$ things. You might also check the compression, but as we know, a bike that has sat, can have low compression that will improve with use
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

rcmatt007 wrote:out of that list, as you already know, carbs, brakes and waterpump are the $$$ things. You might also check the compression, but as we know, a bike that has sat, can have low compression that will improve with use
Yes, sir, you are correct. I've already Randakked the carbs for "Josie," so if needed, they'll get swapped for now. I'm hoping to just give the brakes a good cleanup, staying away from installing kits unless I absolutely have to. The water pump is my biggest concern; $150 to $170 will be pushing my budget for sure... If I need to get deeper into the brakes and do the water pump, This project may just get sidelined in lieu of restarting "Josie."

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
thunderchild
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/thunderchild/

Post by thunderchild »

Todd,

I like her color.
"The trouble with the world is not that people know so little,
but that they know so many things that ain't so." -- Mark Twain

Current bikes:
75 GL1000
76 CAFE GL1000
76 YELLOW GL1000
76 LTD GL1000
77 GL1000
VT1100 AERO
two CT90
ImageImageImageImageImage
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Looks like a handy list to keep bookmarked.

The only thing I'd add is "rubber thangs" and that would complete it.
  1. radiator hoses
  2. shifter shaft seal
  3. fuel lines
  4. tires
  5. ?brake lines?
  6. ?tach seal @ fuel pump?
Look thru the Front Engine Renewal Project thread since you're headed into the stat and H2O pump anyway.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Thanks for the additions, Roady. I figured once I know which direction I'm going, I might just pop for Cascade Cycle's Front End Combo Meal Deal, which includes the hoses, t-stat, and o-rings, as well as timing belts. Didn't even think about the shifter seal or tach drive seal, though. Tires are already on the must have list, brake lines are "really should." We shall see when I get there...

Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

thunderchild wrote:Todd,

I like her color.
Thanks. It's kinda growing on me :lol: . I don't like the gold foil pinstripes, however, which seems to be pulling loose in a number of spots. maybe it's not cleared over, and i can get it off...

todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Kriss
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Kriss »

Track T 2411 wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:out of that list, as you already know, carbs, brakes and waterpump are the $$$ things. You might also check the compression, but as we know, a bike that has sat, can have low compression that will improve with use
Yes, sir, you are correct. I've already Randakked the carbs for "Josie," so if needed, they'll get swapped for now. I'm hoping to just give the brakes a good cleanup, staying away from installing kits unless I absolutely have to. The water pump is my biggest concern; $150 to $170 will be pushing my budget for sure... If I need to get deeper into the brakes and do the water pump, This project may just get sidelined in lieu of restarting "Josie."
type1 Hi the water pump can be rebuilt useing a water pump seal kit for a Honda CX500 and bearings from a bearing supplyer,the CX500 water pump inturnals ar same has the gl.
5x GL1000S, 2x GL1500,
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Thanks for that reminder, Kriss. There have been a couple of discussions about rebuilding the pump, but I'm not sure of the seals used. It's kind of one of those "do it right the first time" jobs, though, because of the location, and I'm not sure I want to go down that road. I definitely will keep that in mind. Do you have any more specific info, or links to explore?

Getting some stuff together, and going to hit the shop, and see what I see... Wish me luck!

Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by rogue1000 »

Good Luck!!! :popcorn:
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Work Day 2 Update

I had a little bit of time, in between requests from my FIL, "Can you help me with this," or "Could you possibly do that," to get started on the evaluation. I also took a number of pics, but seem to have left the camera at the shop, so I've only got one to share at the moment:
0214121315.jpg
0214121315.jpg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
A nice little nest in the air box... It's pretty old, and really not much damage, other than the filter itself...

Cosmetically, the tupperware is in very good shape, with no cracks or breaks on the bags or trunk. Side covers are whole, no broken tabs, and the fairing seems to be sound, including both pockets, covers etc. The faux tank has not fared quite so well; it looks to have suffered a break-in at some point. The upper lid is sprung, and closes funky. The lock housing (pot metal) is also cracked on the bottom, but still works. Probably can be replaced.

Found a spare key under the faux tank as well, plus a full original tool set, owner's manual, etc. All the locks match, and both keys work as they should, though worn ("Oh Keymaker..."). The fairing lowers are the worst of everything, with one lower tab broken, and the other showing major cracks. Looks like I'll get to practice my ABS gluing skills...

Unfortunately, almost all of the chrome shows signs of pitting and rust, some pretty heavy. The exhaust is the worst. We shall see... There seems to be no road rash anywhere, though, which is a good thing...

So, onward...
A. General Electrical Condition.
1) Stator connection. The stator connection is original, and unmolested. There are no signs of corrosion or overheating, just a light rust coloring on the blades of the connector. The wires and insulation were still mostly flexible (as well as can be expected for 30+ years old) right up to the connector on both sides. Seems like this should be an easy job to snip out the connector and solder the wires. I am tempted to replace the connector, however, with an all weather trailer type connector, which Would allow later work.
2) Dog bone fuse. Someone has already converted this to a blade type fuse. I didn't look too closely, but seems to be a competent job. I'll need to revisit this area anyway, so it will get further scrutiny.
3) Fuse block. I was actually amazed. Totally, absolutely, like day one. No corrosion, discoloration, nothing. The fuses were shiny and clean, both the top and inside legends look virtually new. The cover even still stays in place! Cool! Don't F#@% with it!
4) Wiring harness condition. Like the fuse block, like day one, unmolested and intact. Now I actually know what the taillight and saddlebag wires are supposed to look like! There was a wrap of electrical tape around the connector for the tail/turns under the seat, but I didn't unwrap it, yet, but probably will later. In general I'm very happy about the condition of everything electric, so far... :orange

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Work Day Two continued...

B. Mechanical Condition.
1) Front forks. The front fork seals need to be replaced, pure and simple.
2) Rear shocks. The rear shocks hold air for a short time, but don't seem to be leaking fluid. I haven't pulled the bags and supports yet, so this is preliminary. "Josie" came with a set of Progressive brand touring coilovers, so this issue is pretty much solved, unless my budget allows for a rebuild of the originals.
3) Carbs/engine. Top of engine is pretty clean, with no signs of major fuel leaks, past or present. Bottom of engine is another story entirely! The valve covers are leakers! They are aftermarket chrome jobs, with the screw in insets, and they really suck! The chrome is bubbling all over them, except where the silicone caulk/RTV mixture is holding it down. That's right, good old clear silicone caulk smeared all over trying to stop the leaks from crappy covers. They will see the scrap bin ASAP. But, because they leaked so badly, I really couldn't see much of anything else at first glance.
I also pulled the plugs. I have to remember to clean out the drain holes. Nothing unusual to report there, although they looked a little black. After fogging the cylinders heavily with PB Blaster, I turned the engine over quite easily using the rear stator bolt. action1
4) Fuel tank. Yes, it's got really stale fuel in it. Yes, it's also rusty, but just a little! I'm going to pull the rear wheel for tire replacement anyway, so, out comes the tank. I'm going to look over the muriatic acid (or whatever it was) treatment that Rodger did, as it really isn't too bad.
5) Frame. I pulled the "stator cookers" and floor boards, which will disappear somewhere soon. I was kind of concerned due to my past experience with those covers and rusty frames, and there was some foundation for that concern. The battery box and frame show some significant surface rust due to battery venting, so I will have to address that in due course. Everything looks solid, at this point, so I hope I caught it in time. If I need to buy a new battery, it will be a gel type, for certain...

In all, I'm pretty happy about the condition of the bike so far. It was obviously well taken care of for most of it's life. Tomorrow, I get to see what the water pump, coolant, oil, and oil filter can tell me about the future...

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Kriss
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Kriss »

type1 :orange Looks like you may have had a mouse in there.
5x GL1000S, 2x GL1500,