My EFI setup

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Re: My EFI setup

Post by gregforesi »

I'm gonna have a lot of questions. Jenvey (in England) makes direct replacement TB's for the Weber 40IDF. They ain't cheap but who knows what will show up on E-Bay.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
randakk
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by randakk »

gregforesi wrote:I'm gonna have a lot of questions. Jenvey (in England) makes direct replacement TB's for the Weber 40IDF. They ain't cheap but who knows what will show up on E-Bay.
If I ever do a fuel injection rig (which is not very likely since I love carbs so much), this is the route I would probably pursue.
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Retired Founder - www.randakks.com/
Curator - www.facebook.com/groups/CarburetorAppreciationSociety

gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

And Randakk's manifolds leave room for nitrous nozzles. Not that I'm into showing off or anything.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
lewi
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by lewi »

Some observations based on my experiences on a supercharged GL1500 with a Megasquirt 1 using ms-extra code controlling fuel and spark
I gave up on the fast idle - I tried a 3 wire valve and maybe mine was faulty but I just couldn't consistently get a good idle so I ended up blanking it off and I'm happy to live with holding the throttle a bit open for the first minuite or so until it will idle on its own .
I used a very similar fuel pump set up to the one pictured - I think mine was off a Merc or BMW but I only used the pump and filter.I have a pressure regulator and return line in the fuel rail.
Knowledge and tuning will go hand in hand but for tuning I definately recommend getting a wideband O2 sensor .I eventually used an Innovate LC1 after trying to get by with a regular narrowband sensor
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

lewi if you're using the throttle to get fast idle at start up, you can probably get away with a 2-wire idle valve (instead of the PWM variety). Much simpler install.

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Did anything ever come of the bikes in these threads?

I megasquirted my camaro several years ago and would love to see a system on a wing!
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

Yes indeed, this does look like a simple solution to gummed up and out of sync stock carbs!
But very interesting, very impressive, thanks for sharing.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Bump for reading.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi