1985 GL1200 Limited ECU Replacement/Upgrade

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 1985 GL1200 Limited ECU Replacement/Upgrade

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Continuing with road trials. Lots of good tuning recommendations from the Speeduino forum. If this were a car, could have someone with me changing engine tune parameters on the fly, could do the same on the bike, but never easy doing anything extra on a bike. Have to change my tuning process to get tuning done while on the road. The engine is using a lot of fuel at this time, will be changing the VE Table cell values to compensate.

The recommended tuning procedure is to ride at a specific speed/RPM, stop, review data log. Repeat until the leanest stable cruise is found - just rich of "lean surge". Enter the AFR reading in the respective cell value, then tune ignition timing for minimum MAP.

For those of us that have never heard of this, I hadn't - wasn't looking for it either:

"Lean surge is typically related to a lean mixture (read typical factory jetting) and occurs when cruising along at steady state speeds with small throttle openings. You can actually feel the bike pull and then pause, pull and pause".

I will be doing this as a VE "block" change scenario. Will be monitoring the VE block of 56 to 90 KPa and 2000 to 4500 RPM. This is a 6 by 8 matrix.

Learning the tuning and analytic software is a challenge but getting there.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)