Meet the Camel

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: Meet the Camel

Post by Fred Camper »

Nice sun/rain umbrella on your multitool. Love it.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

First Ride--actually second. I rode up to the mailbox previously, about a half mile round trip, and except for the encounter with the neighbors dogs, one a noisy trouble making Pomeranian and the other a great Dane, all went well. After the Dane realized he couldn't get my helmet in his mouth, he let me get my mail. But that brings me to yesterday when I decided to test my luck with a longer ride. I warned my wife where I was headed (after my encounter with the deer, she is still not to excited about me starting to ride again) and in full gear left on what was to be a 20 mile shake down. About five miles in I noticed it was hesitating a bit and acting like it was running out of fuel. I had filled the tank so I wasn't too concerned but it just kept getting worse, at the half-way point I wasn't sure it was going to get me home. Sure enough back at the five mile point it finally gave up the ghost and stalled out and would not restart. My suspicion at this point is a plugged fuel filter. We will see this morning if that is the issue or not. Another problem I have known about all along is the throttle mechanism is stiff and does not want to idle down. I can push in on the idle screw and it will idle down but it sticks when riding. I hope it will work itself out or I will have to pull the carb rack and deal with the problem. There also seems to be an issue with the rear brake that needs sorting. Anyway back to the test ride--shifting, power and braking all seem good. Radiator fan works properly and there does not seem to be any leaks anywhere. BUT I did have to call my wife to come get me. Fortunately it was only five miles. After hooking up the trailer, went back for the bike and fortunately it was still sitting along side the country road where I left it. Should know more soon.
Attachments
image15.jpeg
image15.jpeg (118.74 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Do loosen each carb drain screw and see if all have about the same amount of fuel. Easy check.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

Well, as unbelievable as it sounds (to me at least) it really was out of gas. This morning when I removed the fuel line from the output of the fuel pump, I wasn't surprised that no fuel was present. Next I disconnected the fuel line at the petcock, still no fuel. Now I am surprised! I had just topped off the tank shortly before while working on the bike. I had only ridden to the mailbox and back. I hadn't noticed any fuel on the lift table! Well, now what? I poured in between two and three gallons, reconnected the fuel lines and started the bike (after a delay for fuel to make its way to the carbs). Raw Fuel began pouring out of the left exhaust!! Obviously the carbs have to come off, but curiously all the time the bike was running I could not tell it was missing on even one cylinder, much less two. I will pull the carbs and check the floats and float valves but its hard to believe that all that fuel could pass through the engine that fast (and not be noticed while riding)!
Bikes at present:

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Better check your oil level.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

robin1731 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:07 pm Better check your oil level.
Lots of oil, maybe too much! I had put in a quart just to be sure it had some. Can't tell if it had gas in the oil or was just thin from being warm. Anyway I had planned on changing it right away after the first ride. So did that before I started trouble shooting yesterday. The rear brake issue turned out to be a loose bleeder so I think that is fixed. BUT went ahead and pulled the carb rack. Haven't had a chance to open them up but hope to do that later today.
Bikes at present:

Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

I knew this project was going too smooth! Pulled the carbs and discovered two problems, first #2 float was stuck to the bottom of the bowl with some kind of fuel residue so as long as the petcock was on fuel would continue to run into the bowl of #2. Second, there was a tiny crack in the bottom of the bowl (also #2) which was probably responsible for the float getting glued down when all the fuel drained out the crack one drop at a time, while in storage. I had a spare bowl so that seems to have solved problem one. But now I have another problem relating to the return to idle. If I manually push in on the adjustment screw I can idle down to 1000 rpm but if I blip the throttle, it idles back up to 3500 or so. I had the carbs off so spent a good deal of time and effort trying to determine where the friction or resistance is without any real success. I went ahead and ordered new cables just to be sure the action was as smooth as possible BUT I am pretty well convinced the butterfly on #4 is dragging against the throat of the carb and not closing the way it should. I am really reluctant to try to alter this in any way but I can't find an option.
Last edited by Easter on Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes at present:

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

I followed the instructions for the fast idle cure but other than temporary idle reduction, they didn't seem to help. Today I did a comprehensive carb sync and that seems to have helped but I am not sure the problem is gone. Will know more soon. :crosso
Bikes at present:

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Have the intake elbow hose clamps been retightened when they are up to full operating temperature?

Set the pilot air/fuel mixture screws at 3 full turns out from lightly seated.
That May actually enhance the synchronization session end results.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

Two computer crashes, a new computer and much spring yardwork but I made it back finally. I have lost track of how many times the carbs have been off the bike. Hopefully today was the last time for a long time. I have put about 50 miles on the bike and it finally seems to be running good. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired but that is for another time.

I did set the pilot screws at 3 full turns (then lock tighted them, that is another story!) plus the new (correct) throttle cables allowed the engine to return to idle. Don't let anyone tell you 1200 cables will work. They are an inch too long and unless you can cut them and replace the ends, you are out of luck.

Still planning paint but until my shop gets built (hopefully this summer) I won't try it myself under the shade tree. Might look into having it professionally done but not sure I want to spend that much money on this old bike. I haven't kept track but I think I am in between $800 and a thousand. For now we will call it finished. dancr
Bikes at present: