Timing belts & engine bearing codes?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

dartman1962
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Timing belts & engine bearing codes?

Post by dartman1962 »

I am changing the timing belts & performing the timing tensioner mod today. I happened to look at the marks in the behind the covers.
I think they are to do with engine bearings, but not sure how to read it!
Attachments
IMG_3623.jpeg
IMG_3623.jpeg (262.2 KiB) Viewed 206 times
1975 Honda Goldwing,
2000 Honda Ace Tourer
Let's R&R, Rev it up & ride!

Image Image Image
The day I purchased the loaded wing for the sum of $20.00. Nearly finished 1975 NGW way better naked!. My 2000 1100 Honda Ace Tourer. Next project?
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Timing belts & engine bearing codes?

Post by Rednaxs60 »

These are for crank bearings. Need the OEM service manual to decipher the code for the bearing colours. Honda uses a colour coding for the bearing thickness. Honda did a great design/build of these engines. Almost a blueprint/balanced engine.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Those particular marks indicate the main bearing clearances, for which you have to cross-refernce to the bearing chart.

But...unless your really HAVE to split the cases and investigate the bearings, I strongly advise against it. The bearing shells, the main bearings of which are the same for the GL1000 and the GL1100, and the conrod shells, are to all intents extinct.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
dartman1962
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dartman1962 »

Old Fogey wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:51 pm Those particular marks indicate the main bearing clearances, for which you have to cross-refernce to the bearing chart.

But...unless your really HAVE to split the cases and investigate the bearings, I strongly advise against it. The bearing shells, the main bearings of which are the same for the GL1000 and the GL1100, and the conrod shells, are to all intents extinct.
Fogey,
I still have to primary chain tensioner you sold me several years ago, which I have not yet installed.

So when I was in there changing my belts I saw these codes & wondered, should I look for some non existent parts!

It runs fine, I really want to get rid of the rattle from the chain at idle.

My oil pressure HOT at idle is 15psi & 55-60psi at 4-5000 rpm,

I have spoken to an engine shop in town that does re-babbit bearings that are not available. I going over to see if they can in case I need them done.

As you said, unless you HAVE to split the cases, stay OUT! :8)
1975 Honda Goldwing,
2000 Honda Ace Tourer

Image Image Image
The day I purchased the loaded wing for the sum of $20.00. Nearly finished 1975 NGW way better naked!. My 2000 1100 Honda Ace Tourer. Next project?
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

If those are your pressure readings, leave your bearings alone; you have nothing to worry about.
You can fit the chain tensioner by removing just the left side of the crankcase, leaving the right head,pistons and crankshaft in place.

But before you get into that, make sure that your ignition timing is spot on and the same with the carb synchronising. I would not be at all surprised if you find that the thrashing noises go away.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
dartman1962
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dartman1962 »

Old Fogey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:30 pm If those are your pressure readings, leave your bearings alone; you have nothing to worry about.
You can fit the chain tensioner by removing just the left side of the crankcase, leaving the right head,pistons and crankshaft in place.

But before you get into that, make sure that your ignition timing is spot on and the same with the carb synchronising. I would not be at all surprised if you find that the thrashing noises go away.
I just rechecked the the timing yesterday after belt replacement. 1-3 were right on the firing mark and 2-4 were just before the red firing line, like a red firing line thickness may be a degree or 2. I was not going to change it for that slight difference.

I set the carbs 2 years ago with my friends Vacuummate balancer; It was a night & day difference over a regular balancer & yes, the chain is quieter.
I am going to be resetting the carbs next month before riding season, as I just installed my new Delkevic exhaust system & want to recheck again.
My gl1000 has 64,700 miles & purrs like a kitten otherwise.
Again as you said, the bearings will probably be fine, hopefully a new primary chain, your tensioner, new clutch, maybe new rings & a hone and that's it.
1975 Honda Goldwing,
2000 Honda Ace Tourer

Image Image Image