Smokey exhaust

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Smokey exhaust

Post by Sidecar Bob »

"Every GL1000 I’ve ever owned or worked on has had this characteristic to some degree." - Randakk
http://www.randakksblog.com/honda-gl100 ... l-startup/

Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

On the smoking thing, all of them that I’ve ever seen can smoke on start-up, Honda has done a lot to try and eliminate this but I’ve even seen 1800’s smoke on start-up, not like the 1000’s but they can.

If memory serves me correctly (questionable) Honda even used some kind of pin or nub in the ring grooves to orient the ring ends so they were not on the bottom of the cylinder in an effort to keep the crankcase oil from working it’s way past the rings and into the combustion chamber. I think this started with the 78 models.

I will add that I have found on my 76 that a clean & properly functioning crankcase vent system seems to help on this as well as reducing/eliminating oil consumption. Imho it is very important to have it hooked up to the air cleaner to keep a negative pressure (very slight) that reduces ring flutter.

This subject always makes me wonder if BMW has this problem? Anyone have any experience ?

It’s interesting that in the Randakk thread that Bob provided above the photo shows a Wing on a stand and smoking heavily but again imho the picture also shows Dr Al Wransky who I personally believe is totally responsible for that heavy fogging ,, luv ya Dr Al ! 😱🤮
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I have read that the BMW K bikes were inadvertently designed so mirror image to what would have been ideal so that their cylinders pointed down when on the stand and they often produce very dense smoke screens (bad enough to make the issue with GoldWings seem inconsequential). I believe it was BMW that added bumps in the piston ring grooves to prevent the rings from rotating to where the gaps were at the bottom but Honda may have done it too.

It only takes a pinpoint sized drop of oil to produce a thick cloud on startup so the level in the crankcase won't get much lower even if it smokes every time.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

IIRC, filling the crankcase to the full mark on the window also adds to the spectacle, as well as increasing overall oil consumption. I fill to half between the lines at oil changes, and none of my bikes seem to require a top-up before the next change.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

My '77, "Ox", if I haven't ridden it for awhile will smoke. After a mile or two will clear up.
One time I hadn't ridden Ox for almost a year and boy did it smoke! Car drivers would stop me to tell me that "something was wrong with my bike!" It cleared up but after 20 miles or so at highway speeds. No mosquitos that month :-D
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox