If you are fitting roller bearings to the steering on early models that were originally fitted with cup and ball type head races it is necessary to fit the grease retainer 53223-371-010 under the top bearing ( this fits all 75 -77 ) and to have a dust seal/grease retainer at the bottom.
Otherwise you lose the grease from the bearings ( remember, roller bearing by their very nature are open at the bottom and will not retain grease in the way the cup and ball bearing does ) and risk dirt getting in at the bottom.
The problem I came up against is that the seal shown here http://www.cmsnl.com/products/seal-head ... 214371010/
will only fit the bottom of the headstock on late '76 upwards. It is too big in outside diameter to fit the early'76 and '75s.
The original rubber oil seal will not do the job because its inner diameter is too big and does not seal the bearing.
My solution, after muuuuuuuuch thought, turned out to be easy and cheap.
First, make a large circle of thinnish alloy or steel sheet the diameter of the outside diameter of the headstock with a hole just big enough to slide all the way down the stem. As I had already bought the seal I just used that turned upside down.
Next goes on the original spacer washer and then the inner bottom bearing. Two 44.5x3 mm 'O' rings are then slipped over the bearing and around the spacer on top of one another. This is just enough to fill up the gap both in diameter and height without causing drag when the steering is turned.
Grease up the bearings and the 'O' rings, offer up the stem to the headstock, slip on the grease retainer with the channel side up, fill the channel with grease, fit the top bearing and adjuster nut and the top yoke (or bridge or triple clamp Wink ) and locknut
Job's a good 'un!
Please note that all Wings originally fitted with taper rollers OEM are fitted with the above part numbers right up to the last 1200.
One more tip. Don't use Molybdenum grease as use in CV joints. I had been greasing up the swing arm bearings with this so it was to hand, but it is too heavy for the steering bearings and causes a lot of drag.
I had to wash the bearings out, it was that bad!
I used a mixture of plain old LM grease and some graphite and it feels sooooo smooth and light to turn.