Single Carb Conversion Help

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

krakum1967
Lead Member
Lead Member

Single Carb Conversion Help

Post by krakum1967 »

Hello, my first p[ost and all but might as well get right to it.

I went through the carbs on a 79 GL1000 I recently purchased, and it was a night mare. Several stripped screws, the person who serviced them did not know about JIS screwdrivers, they stripped the air filter mount bolts on the plenum, and the bike has sat for ten years. I was able to get through them, clean them and get the bike running. Howerver, I could not get the carbs to sync up, it had a constant miss in number 1 and leaked. I looked at the prices of the replacement and opted to get a manifold kit with the single EMPI 34 Pict3 carb.

I failed to order an air filter and am waiting on that now.

SO I hooked up the fuel line, and the choke. The bike starts and runs, and in fact fom 2000 rpm through redline, it runs extremely well.

But, I cant get it to idle. The bike will idle when warmonmg up but once its warm it tanks at 1500 rpm. I have checked for vaccuum leaks, and there are none. I have also went though the settings for the carb according the VW resoources data and insured that the factory bench settings were correct and they are. I cleaned the pilot jet and pilot circuit, but no success. I have also checked timing, the spark is nice hot and blue, and the bike has a Dyna S kit in it with no points.

So I have two questions, to use this carb, are we supposed to hook up the air cut off solenoid, if so where? Can it be run from a steady DC, or do we run it off the positive coil lead which I can easily do?

Second questions, am I spinning my wheels and worrying too much, the builder said the bike will not likely idle wityh no air filter, and he stated once I get one on that will fix the problem. Id this true?

If I could just talk to someone with experience on doing kits like these and see if there are any helpful hints that can be offered.

Any help at this point is greatly appreciated.

My name is Kraig and I am from Jamestown, North Dakota
77Pinto
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Single Carb Conversion Help

Post by 77Pinto »

IMHO: There is nothing better on a Wing than the factory carb.s.

Yes, some people claim their bikes run great with a single unit, but mostly its just comparing how it runs vs. a messed up stock set. Also, there is lots of fabrication and tuning involved, so its not install and ride. In some cases it will cost you more than fixing the stock carb.s.

Ebay is a great place to find good used carb. parts that you can use to make yours work great again. The good news is that the 78 79 carb.s are easy to come by as the made more bikes these years than the earlier Wings.

Bill
1976 GL1000 LTD (X2)
1976 GL1000 Sulfur
1977 GL1000
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Some of your questions might be answered here. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47 This is our unique carburetion section. Made just for this type of discussion. I'm also going to move your thread to that section.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
rod willis
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rod willis »

If the carb has a electric idle solenoid on it needs a keyed 12 volt supply to open
up the idle circuit so the engine will run at a idle . try hooking up a jumper wire
up to it from the battery to see it it will work
Rod
rod willis
1976 GL1000
krakum1967
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by krakum1967 »

@ pinto72, already debated the factory carb verses modified issue. The price point met my budget with the kit I have already purchased. I am not in a position to go out and buy more carbs. I need to stay on the path I have selected or a 1000 dollar bike will become a major expense, like it or not, I need an idle, that's it. The old carbs have 6 stripped screws on three different carb bodies. The plenum bolts are stripped, and the bank will require weeks of work that I wish to pursue on a long term basis to learn the carbs and build them right. The person the PO had try to fix the carbs was a complete hack and basically ruined this set of carbs.

@Rod, thank you, I asked the seller about that and he said "plug in the choke thingy on the right hand side of the carb and leave the one on the left unplugged", I am guessing he actually meant the solenoid. I will try this first thing in the morning.
krakum1967
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by krakum1967 »

ROD! You are the man!

Thank you! Purrs like a kitty kat right at 1000 rpm. Thanks for everything.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Great news. Have you seen Joe's posts? http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=165
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Nice work Rod
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
krakum1967
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by krakum1967 »

Yea i owe you rod. Many thanks what a great site. Curing 5 days of frustration....priceless
rod willis
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rod willis »

Thanks guys glad I could help
Rod
rod willis
1976 GL1000