New in Virginia USA

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

dcmike
Tin Member
Tin Member

New in Virginia USA

Post by dcmike »

Hello to all!

I have been looking at this forum for a while before I finally found a bike. I got a 1978 GL1000 off eBay from Florida, so needless to say I was pretty nervous when it showed up here in VA.

I couldn't have asked for more considering the price paid and the condition of the bike! First of all it is CLEAN. It has a new battery, new fork seals, brakes were recently flushed and bled, new rear shocks, new plugs, oil and filter change, and the carbs were just cleaned and synced. I was told the timing belts were changed at 25,000, which was about 4 years ago. the bike currently has 36.000 mi.

After it was unloaded, it fired right up and I rode it around the block several times. Next stop was the DMV to register and title it and all that. I have since ridden it about 150 miles. I love this thing! Its got plenty of power and rides so easy. I already got compliments from random people asking what it is

I'm never one to leave anything alone, so I already have plans to modify this. I know, I know, it doesn't make sense to change something that is perfect as is, but it's just in my nature. Motorcycles are personalized things, and I want to make this one mine.

I'm looking for a cheap, beat up old stock seat so I can pull it apart and rework the foam, I'm trying to make a straight flat seat. The current seat is too nice to cut up, and I want to still be able to bolt it on when its time for 2 up rides with the lady.

I've never liked Comstars. The front wheel has been growing on me, but something about that rear wheel with the stubby fat "spoke" look just drives me crazy.
Is the rear spoked wheel (75-77) a direct swap like I have read? That would make life a little easier

I know changing the front wheel to spokes the conventional way involves new forks, speedo drive, rotors, calipers...and then the wheel.

Does anyone have experience with the conversion kit offered by "motosynthesis" ? (motosynthesis dot blogspot dot com)
Using his method I could use an old Comstar, pull the hub, bolt his plate on and wire to a new rim. This would likely be more cost effective than the entire front end swap.

I'm thinking 17" front and 17" rear, both with some fat knobby dualsport tires. Is this a terrible idea? I've always liked the symmetrical balanced look when both wheels and tires are the same

Anyway, sorry for the excessively long first post, my name is Mike and I'm excited to join this community and learn from everyone. There is SO MUCH great knowledge and advice on this site. Thanks!
Attachments
goldwing78.jpg
goldwing78.jpg (90.6 KiB) Viewed 228 times
1978 GL1000
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: New in Virginia USA

Post by rcmatt007 »

welcome to NGW
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

dcmike wrote: I was told the timing belts were changed at 25,000, which was about 4 years ago. the bike currently has 36.000 mi.
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum from the UK. CHANGE THOSE BELTS straight away. They could last another 10 years or 50000 miles, but if you are not sure it is far cheaper to change them now than have to get a new engine. We all say it to all the new members so don't worry. Any problems just ask away and someone will be along to help.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
oldwings 78
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by oldwings 78 »

Welcome Mike,
Nice introduction and a very nice bike! I don't know why but I've always liked the '78 model the best.
Terry
"A man who is good at making excuses is rarely good at anything else" Benjamin Franklin
"A man who will sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither" Benjamin Franklin
'78s are the best looking GLs Just ask Doc
robbie202
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by robbie202 »

Hey I'm in dc
'77 GL1000
'03 Sportster
2020 KLX 250
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Howdy from Canada, welcome to the club. Good intro. Sounds, and looks like a sweet ride. Keep us up to date, with a new build thread in the Technical Section You should be able to come up with a used seat pan for not many bucks, try CL or eBay, or the Wanted section at the bottom of this site. I agree with Chewy, those belts should be done sooner rather than later, an easy job that does not cost a lot. Check out Shop Talk, if you have not already done so, lots of good advice for new owners.

Cheers,
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
Mrirbic71
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mrirbic71 »

Welcome from New Jersey
1982 GL1100
Being happy ain't nothing but having something to look foward too..
No matter what I'm doing I'd rather be riding.
Jai
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Jai »

Welcome from New Hampshire. Nice bike to start with.
1979 GL 1000
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

oldwings 78 wrote:Welcome Mike,
Nice introduction and a very nice bike! I don't know why but I've always liked the '78 model the best.
Terry
oldwings 78 is right!
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

Welcome from Indy. Yes, changing the wing around is a lot of fun. The way I Iook at it, I know what Honda did, now I'm interested in the ideas that other people have. Keep us posted.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

Welcome from arkansas.
Looks like you have a nice platform to begin with.
Last edited by duke182 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
D,F.C. Industries
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by D,F.C. Industries »

Welcome from RVA
gliderwing
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by gliderwing »

Welcome from San Francisco!
1976 GL1000
Fix List:
  • Front controls
    Starter gremlin
    Tune carbs
dcmike
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by dcmike »

chewy999 wrote: CHANGE THOSE BELTS straight away. They could last another 10 years or 50000 miles, but if you are not sure it is far cheaper to change them now than have to get a new engine.

I agree with that, thanks for the advice! I was planning on doing the belts over the winter, and with the wealth of knowledge and "how-to" articles on here, I know I'll be able to get the job done. You never know the quality of the belts a PO may have put in, and I want this bike to last forever.
1978 GL1000
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

dcmike wrote:I want this bike to last forever.
And I want a busty blonde bimbo millionairess, but...............

lolol lolol lolol
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.