Single carb conversion

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Gregersen
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Single carb conversion

Post by Gregersen »

Hi all

This is my first post, sorry if the topic has been up many times before (and sorry for my spelling, English is not my first language)

I know why people convert to weber carbs, cause this gives more power, but why do people convert to single carb (I guess they use a VW carb)

Sorry if its a dumb question, but I dont get the point.

Yours Wingman Frank
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Single carb conversion

Post by ericheath »

They tire of trying to get stock setup to work properly. It's a flashpoint arguement. To each their own.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Welcome from Chicago. It seems that the complicated nature of four carbs can be overwhelming to many. Probably the best performance for the dollar is stock in proper operating condition. Webbers are awesome carbs and look the part on these modified bikes. As was stated this is just my opinion and can spark disagreements with friends that have great results with other set-ups.
Just one opinion!
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

i kinda doubt a weber carb swap alone will offer any power advantages over a stock setup and will likely require lotsa messin' around just to get it to run right with no issues and that's prob as good as it gets for most folks,

first big problem is which weber? for which engine? is it modified? to start with and just getting that sorted, not everyone uses a weber, some folks go single barrel etc

i'm not aware of anyone who has proven more power bolting on a weber to a stock engine, you'd think you would be able to read about that somewhere, however, very easy to find tons of wild claims and hype

lotsa folks think scc is an easy cheap option compared to sortin out stock carbs, but can find out that any money & effort going that way can end up in a frustrating ongoing fiddling can of worms,

good bet that if someone can't sort out stock carbs, it gets harder with scc cos you have opinions left, right and center as to how to go about it, just to get it to run right with no issues,

it can end up costing money either way, but you're mostly on your own, or on advice given on forums sortin out scc

i'm not even aware of a site that focuses solely on scc for support or anyone in the biz of setting one up for customers, or info anywhere that gives a short to the point step by step how to, as to an installation, parts required, where to get etc, let alone setting it up to run right

you might be surprised at what it costs just to set one up,

lotsa long threads out there tho or info all over the place to have fun with figuring out how to go about it,

then you have honda engineers who designed specific carbs for specific motors and people who make a living rebuilding/restoring them (pros), if you need that level of support or followup, who also have an established track record of customer service and known reliable results,

cyborg here said it best, he did a set of stock carbs ~ 10 years ago & hasn't touched them since
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"