Oil screen cover removal? Gl1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Oil screen cover removal? Gl1000

Post by Pinball »

How in the world do you remove the one screw towards the front of the bike on the oil screen cover? I think I will replace them with allen head screws after I get them out but is there a trick to removing the last one? Do you clean the screen on your bike everytime you change your oil? Thanks
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Oil screen cover removal? Gl1000

Post by RB »

You may have to spread the frame a bit..loosen the front motor mount bolts..wedge the frame out a bit to get at the cover bolt..no you don't clean it every time..how often not sure I have never cleaned one where the engine wasn't out of the bike...as part of a rebuild. Through if your clutch dies/shreds then it will fill that filter quickly.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I have never cleaned the one on my 78
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Most of the ones I have checked, were clean.....unless there was a clutch problem
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

rcmatt007 wrote:I have never cleaned the one on my 78
Nor have I.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

I used a looooooong narrow head flat chisel and hammer, and struck the edge of the screw at an angle to break it loose. Then, a needle nose set of vise grips performed the rest of the job.
I can't remember whether the frame had to pried away, though.
The exhaust manifold had already been removed prior to my even knowing I needed to remove the oil strainer.
Cliff ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

gltriker wrote:I used a looooooong narrow head flat chisel and hammer, and struck the edge of the screw at an angle to break it loose. Then, a needle nose set of vise grips

Cliff---- anim-cheers1 You must be living right!
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

ericheath wrote:
gltriker wrote:I used a looooooong narrow head flat chisel and hammer, and struck the edge of the screw at an angle to break it loose. Then, a needle nose set of vise grips

Actually, eric, I held the chisel with both hands and my son swung the hammer.
When I nodded my head, he hit it! ;)
Cliff ;) )

"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

gltriker wrote:
ericheath wrote:

Actually, eric, I held the chisel with both hands and my son swung the hammer.
When I nodded my head, he hit it! ;)
I started wondering if, indeed, what I'd purported to have been a successful project to remove that particular screw was completely accurate.
Being that the dis-assembly was accomplished almost 5 years ago, I went back and searched for my thread to confirm how it worked.
The chisel and hammer method wasn't initially successful, by themselves, after all. I may have very judiciously moved the lower frame, as well. Like I said that was almost 5 years ago, and was the only time.
Read pages 2 and 3 for the details of how I had to repeatedly and carefully slide the relatively soft screen cover up and down, just a few degrees range of motion each time, to allow the underside of the stubborn screw head to release some of its clamp onto the cover. ( post #35 has a brief explanation. )
THEN, I was successful to remove the stubborn screw with a bit of chisel tapping and the needle nose vise grips! The shaped rubber gasket survived the wiggling, but is NLA, so I used a thin swipe of RTV to seal the mating surfaces. Yes, a socket head screw is the nuts in that re-assembly process. They don't have to be unmercifully tightened to seal the un-pressurized cavity. My cover is weep free for almost 15,000 miles.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=30
Cliff ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Excerpt from my neutral switch replacement thread. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14520
The 1000's have Phillips head screws holding the oil screen cover on, the 1100's have hex head bolts. Three of the screws I could access with a hand impact driver, the front most one is however impossible to get to with any type of screwdriver. The Honda manual shows an offset screwdriver to get to it, yeah right! I used a small pair of vice-grips to lock on to the head and break it loose.

Once loose, I backed it out by hand and removed the cover and screw together. I don't know on the 1100 bolt, but you may have to "flex" the frame at this point in order to get it out.

Don't forget to use a shorter bolt in the front most of the screen cover (for all 1000's and 1100's). Will make things a lot easier if you ever need to be there again. I think the manual says 3 mm shorter.

FYI In my research on procedure and frequency of cleaning this screen, I found the following:

1. the clymer manual has this in the oil change procedure (every oil change?)
2. the honda manual has this in the engine flush part of clutch renewal (when clutch replaced?)
3. the 1200 has the same (or similar) screen with no external access (have to split the case to get to it.)
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

Motowalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Motowalt »

CYBORG wrote:Most of the ones I have checked, were clean.....unless there was a clutch problem
My experience has been the same as Cyborg's...
Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pinball »

Thanks for all of the replies about this. I have decided that if I am to remove this cover it will be on my next oil change :) I was out working on the bike today and removed the first two screws with a hand inpact but even the third was blocked slightly by the frame. I don't think the cover has ever been removed as the screws didn't like giving up the ghost...so after I removed the second one and started looking at the third and forth screws locations I made an executive decision to NOT mess this up by breaking a screw off. There is always next time...thanks again.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Someone here posted a pic of a tool they made for it. I think they welded a nut onto a bit so the its length was enough pry against the frame to put force on the bit. I think a wedged edge like from a pry bar could be made to do it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

As far as cleaning them goes, when I found excessive remnants of RTV sealer all over inside when I removed a valve cover, I figured I'd best check the screen. It was about half clogged with the goop. I also pulled the transmission cover to replace the water pump, and found it very easy to use a spray cleaner to wash out the accumulated deposits from the engine cavity through that opening. My 2 cents...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
blakewindham
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by blakewindham »

I broke off the forward most screw head and replaced it with a shorter bolt for next time I clean it out. Oh, and yes my clutch was being replaced at the same time as this oil change and there definitely was debris from the clutch discs so I'm glad I cleaned it. I didn't have to flex the frame.
Last edited by blakewindham on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1976 GL1000
Tangerine Dream