still have a parts bike, going to keep the other one.

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

still have a parts bike, going to keep the other one.

Post by doubleminded »

I am keeping my fixable 78.There is a handbuilt motorcycle show in austin april 2017.I hope to get the fixable one done to take there.About 5 hours from here.If not, then for sure ready for wingding in grapevine texas.If it wasnt for the horrendous traffic i could be in grapevine in 30 minutes.I hope ya'll come.One trivial question, what is the secret to getting one of these on a centerstand other than brute force.I could easily get either of my 1500s up but neither of these.The seats are loose, but i thought grabbing the frame and a yank would do it.My parts bike is nearly 100% complete bike.I sold the shelter, instruments,shelter frame off it.So the wheels,frame,front end,handlebars,engine, 2 sets of nasty carbs plus more are available.

I have been asked How much to ship it to area code ???.Who knows.Weigh the part if you have it, ask ups.I will ship anywhere as long as you pay the cost.The only left side battery cover i had I sold.It is wintertime here now.Brutal so working indoors is my only option.On Christmas day it was 75 and kinda windy.
Future owner of a oldewing.#12 in my goldwing history.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: still have a parts bike, going to keep the other one.

Post by doubleminded »

anyone wanting to contact me, I seldom have time to get back on here on any regular basis.My home email ronbayless57@gmail.com I see several times a day.
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

Getting up on the center stand is not the typical maneuver - as you have found out. The main force you apply is with the foot on the stand arm - but you need a good grip on the frame above it for leverage. Focus primarily on the foot leveraging the bike up, secondly on spreading the distance between foot and hand on frame, thirdly on your left hand holding the handlebar to keep the bike steady on BOTH stand legs. Miss any one of those points and you're likely to fall short.

Make sure your rear tire is inflated (a low tire will make it nearly impossible). You could also put a board under the rear wheel to raise it up a bit to make it easier. A 2x4 works fine but even a 1/2" helps.

Oddly enough, my Dad could never work the stand but my Mom could. That there tells you it's a finesse thing - brute force alone won't avail.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

thanks immensely.My rear tire is junk and flat.That explains it.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

I only have a parts bike now.