Spares.......or lack of!

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Spares.......or lack of!

Post by chewy999 »

Reading a new post from milesoffun who wanted some new rear shock boots made me think! (Thought there was a smell of burning) :IDTS:

It amazes me what parts are still plentiful and easily available, where vital parts such as main bearings, piston rings, carb parts etc seem to be gone forever. Looking at the number of owners of old GL's here and those on other inferior forums makes me wonder why Honda, or a reputable OEM company don't make such items so we can get these wonderful machines working as they should.

Many of you, especially in the US where parts seem more abundant (AND CHEAP) buy parts engines, but there are a couple of problems with that.

1. How do you know that the components on a spare engine are any better than the ones you are trying to replace,

2. Every engine used for spares, means one less GL on the road!

I appreciate it comes down to cost, but I bet there's more GL's on the road, or trying to get there, than some 'modern' bikes.

Just a thought.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Spares.......or lack of!

Post by BlueThunder »

Probably for the simple reason that owners will say they want it made, but won't buy it when the part becomes available.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Good observation. These older GWs are a treat to ride once they are at a roadworthy standard. The issue I believe is the gene pool for those that want to have an older GW, or are willing to work on one is quickly disappearing. These bikes are not inexpensive to get back to where you can hop on day after day. A lot are being turned into project bikes that are personal expressions of the owner, and the owner will have more into it then can be recovered. I know from keeping track of what my '85 LTD has cost me to date.

Younger riders are going for an adventure style of riding, and with the cost of a newer bike similar to an older GW, ability to have your bike worked on and fixed, it's hard to put forward a good case to own an older GW to the younger generation. Even we older folks when we were younger wanted a quick sports bike, not an older person's GW.

I am doing a valve job on my '85 LTD and have found there are no intake/exhaust valves in the system and this could be problematic down the road, but probably well after I am finished riding. Lapping the valves is just about the only option I have. The valves and valve seats have cleaned up nicely and I expect that I will see an improvement all round.

Diagnosing issues/problems with the older bikes can be daunting to a lot of people. After a while a person will just want to cut their losses and move on. There is a fellow over on another site with an '85 LTD FI bike that has issues and he is cutting his losses.

Main parts such as rings can be made to fit/suit, and there are good alternatives for other less critical items. I think that a lot of research can be done and suitable replacements found for main engine parts, but the question then becomes are you willing to be the first to trial the alternative parts.

It's a catch 22 all round. Great bikes these older GWs. My 1200 has been good, but does need some TLC every now and then. I am also on the side of touring with my bike(s) so the 1200 has to be reliable and expected to go a lot of Kms, and to date has done just that.

Regarding one less GW available for the road, you're correct, but not every older GW found should be put back on the road. Some should just become a helpful item for another GW.

Had a discussion with a shop in the US, don't remember which one but it was mentioned that people in the US as well as Canada that have older bikes are more frugal and purchase items that are extremely cost effective.

My '85 LTD FI bike will keep me occupied for some time because I like to have reason to work on it and it keeps me busy with an ongoing project. I also get a lot of satisfaction from knowing that the work I do to it is beneficial to me. After this work period already have another in mind to do.

A long rant, but these are great bikes as a daily commuter, but requires the maintenance to achieve this. Great touring bikes, but again need the requisite maintenance/work. Inexpensive, can be but probably not.

Just a few thoughts. Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

When I restored my CB750K I realized there was a real lack of new parts. Since then I see some, not a lot, of aftermarket parts coming on line. I think your assessment of the gene pool of customers is accurate. There is a limited customer base and I think a lot of people restoring these older bikes has to do with people that were in their 20's back in the 70's wanting to have a piece of their past.

I'm in the slow process of restoring a '76 GL1000 LTD. Parts for the GL1000's seem to be more available than the 750's. Less expensive too! The price for the 40 year old bikes has gone way up in the last 10-15 years. I suspect the prices to come back down as the group of older riders drops off. The demand won't come back.

I have been picking up spars for both my bikes as I see them on e-may. I take my time and recondition them so they are ready to bolt on if needed.

-P.
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

chewy999 wrote:...makes me wonder why Honda, or a reputable OEM company don't make such items so we can get these wonderful machines working as they should.
It's a matter of economics. The market size for NGW parts is small. The cost to produce parts in relatively small quantities is high. Not too many of us would spend the BIG $$$ to purchase those parts.

Take a look at the prices for parts for antique Indians and HDs. Granted there are some specialty companies making those parts but they are expen$ive. Just take a look at a copy of the magazine published by the Antique Motorcycle Club of America (AMCA) or visit some of those vendors' websites and you will see what I mean.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

Between Randakk's, and folks like "Old Fogey", I think that the economic feasibility of finding a source for most obsolete parts for these bikes has been explored extensively. I know that a source willing to manufacture bearing shells was identified, for example, but the costs were significant. Other parts are similar. Really tough to produce such parts in low volume, at a price.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

I suppose I knew what you guys would say, and the reasons why, but I just wish manufacturers thought of the customers a bit more. After all we can't all afford the latest models every few years, or would want to, but thinking naively, you would think that more parts would be interchangeable. I wouldn't expect for example a crankshaft to fit different bikes, but the central 'rod' is only a rod so why have different widths in the same class of bike. That way, they could make the shells fit many bikes if and when they wear. Think that's clear as mud! :shock:
I would have thought that the manufacturers would love to see more 40+ year old bikes on the road for the publicity and to say how reliable their bikes are.

Just my 2 cents

Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

chewy999 wrote:I suppose I knew what you guys would say, and the reasons why, but I just wish manufacturers thought of the customers a bit more. After all we can't all afford the latest models every few years, or would want to, but thinking naively, you would think that more parts would be interchangeable. I wouldn't expect for example a crankshaft to fit different bikes, but the central 'rod' is only a rod so why have different widths in the same class of bike. That way, they could make the shells fit many bikes if and when they wear. Think that's clear as mud! :shock:
I would have thought that the manufacturers would love to see more 40+ year old bikes on the road for the publicity and to say how reliable their bikes are.

Just my 2 cents

An interesting idea. But manufactures will never see it that way. The improvements in materials an technology will ALWAYS create new and better ways to do things. If not cars would still have leather bearings, and 30 miles an hour would by an unobtainable speed. But I feel your pain :orange
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I agree with scoots. it is economics. Honda would have to have the numbers to make e.g. enough drive shafts to keep the cost reasonable. Then they would have a large stash to store until they were sold. It was only ten years ago you could still buy a NOS drive shaft.... but I bet it was in storage for 20 years at the minimum as the part was only used 75-79
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

When Soichiro Honda was alive, his philosophy was to support his products forever. For a long time after he died, the company would put obsolete parts back into production if there was enough demand. But 30-40-year-old bikes is pushing it.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Shadowjack wrote:When Soichiro Honda was alive, his philosophy was to support his products forever. For a long time after he died, the company would put obsolete parts back into production if there was enough demand. But 30-40-year-old bikes is pushing it.
You can still get ANY part for ANY BMW from the factory.

This was done 5 years ago but it still holds.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/12/1 ... s-catalog/

Honda just decided they didn't care and they must have scrapped a huge horde of parts rather than store them.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Wow. I had no idea BMW did this. Makes me want to find one to restore.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

Sugs wrote:Wow. I had no idea BMW did this. Makes me want to find one to restore.
Make sure you have deep pockets.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

deep
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

scootsx2 wrote:
Sugs wrote:Wow. I had no idea BMW did this. Makes me want to find one to restore.
Make sure you have deep pockets.
And there's the sticking point. How many times have you seen a question about where to buy cheap parts for their new cheap motorcycle, not wishing to pay dealer prices for the parts they still can get there? How many half-finished projects for sale where the seller "just doesn't have time", but it's obvious they got in over their head?