Area for discussion of the Honda Valkyrie

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Checking out a Valk

Post by ericheath »

Looking at a 97 F6C naked

Anyone have a link to a list of things to look for especially if a known issue?

TIA
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Checking out a Valk

Post by ritalz »

Valks are good looking bikes for sure. I've never owned one but would definitely consider either the valc or F6b if the opportunity came up. I really like the interstate model.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

826 days since I’ve received “the wave” from another motorcycle rider! It’s in the garage, I’m in love.

It’s a little neglected mechanically, but looks great for 26 years old

Pics from the ad on FB.
IMG_2870.png
IMG_2870.png (578.85 KiB) Viewed 578 times
IMG_2869.png
IMG_2869.png (329.92 KiB) Viewed 578 times
IMG_2868.jpeg
IMG_2868.jpeg (230.04 KiB) Viewed 578 times
IMG_2865.jpeg
IMG_2865.jpeg (340.01 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Paperwork, figure how to Jack it up, I saw a regular motorcycle Jack won’t work. Need to do the basics.

Sound like tensioners were noisy. Brakes operated properly. Throttle cables are sticky.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Decided to check the rubber carburetor boots to see if they were tight: 3-5 full turns on each one. Off idle response improved immediately after. Still rich and bumbly at idle. Check plugs next.

It’s reading time.

BTW- the crash never came to my mind although I was pretty defensive. Nothing like watching car after car go by holding their phones in the air.

Riding season is so short here and the last four weeks have been 60+ hour five day weeks. Don’t know when I will get to it.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

Not familiar with the jacking procedure on these. I sometimes roll either wheel or both onto a piece of 2x for additional clearance. The pipes look pretty low so you may need a small block under the motor. I've been able to use a jack under my 1800 without any issues. You will figure it out. She looks great.
Al

1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1981 Silverwing Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1973 CB500F Long Gone
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I am looking for an electronic shop manual. Anyone have a link. Free is good.

No fuel gauge??
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

My library has one for the 1500 but not the valk. Not sure it would have enough similarities but you are more than welcome to it.
Al

1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1981 Silverwing Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1973 CB500F Long Gone
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

yea checked and I do not have the Valk manual.

I also use various pieces of wood to give a level lift for the 1800. Not sure why that would not work for this.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Found a manual. Messed a bit more with it. At idle it’s rough, turn the fuel petcock off and after a bit it runs good before dying.Too much fuel from somewhere, most likely float valves. Hope to find out tomorrow.

I read numerous accounts of having to use adapters to put it up on a motorcycle jack. It seems to go up one mine. Not sure what that’s about.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Went through the carbs today. Pretty similar to 1200 carbs. First time removing a set is always interesting but if I had to do it again tomorrow it would be pretty easy. Very easy to tear down. All low speed jets were partially plugged. One whole bank of carbs had all screws for the bowl, the slides and the air funnel cover just finger tight. It’s like someone was going to go back and torque them but forgot.

They were surprisingly clean overall, no green gunk, just a few sediment build ups on bowls. All diaphragms looked good. Time will tell if the floats are good or not. There is no adjustment for them. From my limited reading, it sounds like hydrolock is a problem with them. Advice is to turn the petcock off every time and not rely on the vacuum to do it for you. (Reminds me, I think I forgot to turn it off) see ya.

Warmed it up and ran up and down a few blocks. Fun. Very similar to my Schizoid bike. It sure is easier backing a bike up with a lower seat.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

From my brief ownership of mine, here's my thoughts.

-People say check the splines on the final drive. If they aren't greased properly apparently they wear super quickly.

-No fuel gauge on the Standard model, but the Interstate did have one, along with a slightly larger tank. Upgrading to an Interstate tank is a popular mod, since it's already drilled for a fuel sender (the biggest hassle with fitting an aftermarket gauge) and gets you about a gallon or so more. Which reminds me...

-Range isn't great on these. I'm lucky to pull 35 mpg, and with a 5ish gallon tank, I'm looking for a gas station once I hit 100 miles.

-Owners are split on timing belt replacements. Some follow the Goldwing adage (if you don't know, replace them), while others swear by the Honda interval of 100,000 miles and look at you funny if you crack them open early. If you do be aware that one (and only one) of the belt cover bolts requires sealant.

-Pingle petcocks are a decently popular mod to replace the stock petcock (which may be vacuum operated, I forget). Thing is, this moves the lever from the side of the bike to under the center of it, so take that into account.

-Never heard any major complaints about the carbs. Either this means they work pretty well, or not many owners want to have to deal with 6 of them.

-Certain parts are almost impossible to find, and are super expensive when you do. Yours seem pretty stock, but be aware that any aftermarket part are going to be through the roof. Cobra made a BUNCH of aftermarket farkle add-ons, and then immediately stopped as soon as the Valk stopped production. This means that (to the right people) they are fetching stupidly high prices. I've got a set of driving lights I'll probably let go some point soon (they normally pull north of $600), and I'm glad mine has an aftermarket center stand, because those just don't exist anymore.

-You can get fake velocity stacks for the carb tops. I think they're silly, but a lot of guys swear by 'em. :lol:

Still though, it's a great bike, and probably my favorite one I've ever owned. Everything good about the early Goldwings (gobs of smooth power, without fairing a bag weight to slow it down), but more of it. Enjoy!
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

There is an adapter that facilitates using a bike lift. Got mine on eBay many moons ago.
East to attach with two 90 degree bolts that slide into the block on either side. Nice of Honda
to have these holes.
Valk adapter
Valk adapter
IMG_1303.JPG (170.16 KiB) Viewed 413 times
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

I got my Valk with a different jack adapter already bolted in. It attaches to the cross frame member that the kickstand bolts to. It puts a 1" square steel tube flush with the bottom of the motor. A typical motorcycle jack puts one arm on that tube and the other under the motor. That gets the center of gravity over the jack better. The same thing can be accomplished with some pieces of 2x4s. I have one of them lying around for when I work on my brother's Valk that doesn't have a mounted adapter. Here's a website with some ideas: http://www.herberts.org/wayne/valk/lowtechlift.htm

There's some debate on how often to service the splines. Some (including myself) do it everytime they change a rear tire. I've got a car tire on so my service intervals are quite a bit longer. Some say folks do it wrong and that causes them to dry up and wear out. Just be sure to do it correctly and don't forget to put the nylon fender washer back in. Such a small flimsey part, but it will keep you from wrecking your rear end.

They do not burn oil. Ever.

The air injection system can cause backfiring when the hoses get old and start cracking. There's a bypass kit available from
RedEye along with some other maintenance items: https://sites.google.com/site/valkparts/Home

The problem with hydrolocking these bikes is the starter is strong enough to crack gears - so the cost is high. I still run my OEM petcock and almost always rely on the vacuum to shut the fuel flow off. Fingers crossed on that.

No fuel gauge. Man up, and ride as God intended - with an eye on your trip meter and a hand on your petcock.

I, too, struggle with tank range. They are just too much fun to not thunder around on. Here I am gassing up to the very tip top. Two up with a trailer on that trip reduced my range to 105 miles.
Attachments
Squeezing every last drop in
Squeezing every last drop in
IMG_7711.jpeg (267.5 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Doing some quick calcs.
5 US gallons is approx 22.5 litres.
105 miles/22.5 = 4.66 ltr to mile
4.66 x £1.40 /ltr = £6.50 / mile or $8.30 / mile (£1.40 is about right currently; it has been up in the £1.90s)

I'm glad they are too heavy for my poor back (and Bank balance)
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

Old Fogey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:13 pm Doing some quick calcs.
5 US gallons is approx 22.5 litres.
105 miles/22.5 = 4.66 ltr to mile
4.66 x £1.40 /ltr = £6.50 / mile or $8.30 / mile (£1.40 is about right currently; it has been up in the £1.90s)

I'm glad they are too heavy for my poor back (and Bank balance)
If if was $8.30 a mile, my tank would cost $800+ to fill up.
Math can be tough at times and this took me way longer than it should have - so I'm guilty as well.

To fill my 22.5 liter tank at £1.40/liter, it would cost me £31.50
Divide the cost to fill the tank by the number of miles in the tank and you get £/mi.
31.50/105 = 0.30 £/mi.

Something around 21 cents/mi with fuel costs during my trip. I did see it over $8/gal in California.
IMG_7801.jpeg
IMG_7801.jpeg (240.29 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery