Meet the Camel

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Meet the Camel

Post by Easter »

Every build needs a name. This one relates to a proverb repeatedly told to me years ago by my supervisor when I would approach him for additional equipment. The proverb goes something like this: a camel, fearing the approaching sandstorm sticks his nose in a nearby tent and makes a pitiful noise indicating his fear. The occupant of the tent sees the camel, hears the wind and decides to allow the camel in. As the camel slowly makes its way into the tent, the man is shocked at the size of its head and the length of its neck, then comes the long front legs with gigantic feet, next the shoulders followed by an incredible hump on his back that will barely fit through the tent opening. Then comes the second hump --well you get the picture, never invite a camel into your tent.

So why name a motorcycle after a camel? Well once you start the build the humps just keep coming and costing more and more. But I have done this a dozen times so I know more or less what I am in for. crossy.gif

In a previous thread I introduced the bike, a well used 1983 Aspencade that had been stripped of its tuperware and some work was already done. Fresh heads, fresh carbs (reportedly) and several new not yet installed parts. I bought it with title for about the price of the Randak carb kit along with a title. But most of us know that is just the nose of the beast!! Yesterday I started doing a full strip down which is almost complete as of this afternoon. My plan is to paint the frame and engine both black so I have opted to leave the engine in the frame, at least for now. There is a small amount of rust in the usual spot beneath the battery box so sandblasting wont be required.
Attachments
Almost stripped
Almost stripped
image1 - Copy (2).jpeg (107.81 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Another 83 that I built a few years ago. A bike of the month in 2021
Another 83 that I built a few years ago. A bike of the month in 2021
image2 - Copy.jpeg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 970 times
The way she looked when I brought her home.
The way she looked when I brought her home.
image2.jpeg (107.12 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: Meet the Camel

Post by Fred Camper »

Looks like a great start Easter. Have always liked your bikes.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

Thanks Fred, this project is similar to the first (Dragon Wing) in that I am working outside. I now have the frame stripped for final cleaning and paint. We have had some unseasonably cool weather but it is supposed to warm up a bit next week so maybe I can scrub it down without getting pneumonia .
Bikes at present:

NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Yes! It feels so good to see another build under way.

Looks like the wiring harness has been removed. I was wondering what you might do with the Aspencade digital dash, but I guess you get to do whatever you darned well please because it's a pretty clean slate there. (I've leaned away from the Aspencades, specifically because of that dash - even though it's probably fairly simple to bolt on the Standard or Interstate gauges and snip some wires.)

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

The strip down is now complete and I have been working on degreasing and cleaning. This frame is in really good condition but I have decided to repaint both engine and frame with acrylic black enamel. There doesn't seem to be any drag or play in the swing arm so I opted to not remove it. The gas tank will need to be cleaned and sealed on the inside but the outside will get paint along with the frame. Steering head bearings are good and will be fine with new grease. The BIG problem on disassembly was a frozen brake petal. It required almost two hours of hammering and grumbling. Thankfully the tank and rear wheel were not in the way. No damage but I had to drill a new hole for the retaining cotter key as the swing arm prevented me from clearing the old key hole. Tomorrow I hope to do the final washdown and paint on Saturday. The afternoon temp is supposed to be in the mid 70s.

The belt covers and head covers are aftermarket and will be replaced but for now I will paint the belt covers with bed liner to conceal the rust pits. The head covers are not in bad shape but I will try to polish a spare set of OEMs that came with the bike. The intake tubes are really rough but I will try to polish them out. The belts will need to be replaced. I got a new fuel pump and a new car type coil of indeterminate origin with the bike.
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (111.17 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

"Looks like the wiring harness has been removed. I was wondering what you might do with the Aspencade digital dash, but I guess you get to do whatever you darned well please because it's a pretty clean slate there."

Actually I was mistaken, this was an Interstate model. Because it was already partially stripped I thought it was the Aspencade but you are correct, the gages are conventional mechanical. It even has the 150mph speedo instead of the Carter era 85mph version.
Bikes at present:

NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Easter wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:53 pm Actually I was mistaken, this was an Interstate model. Because it was already partially stripped I thought it was the Aspencade but you are correct, the gages are conventional mechanical. It even has the 150mph speedo instead of the Carter era 85mph version.
I should have noticed on the photo. I didn't look closely. The 150mph speedo is nice. I put one on my '82 just because I couldn't stand going from a 150mph on the '83 over to an 85mph. Not sure what happens to a speedo that spends a lot of time buried at 85. Up here in Maine, 80-85 is about where you need to be to roll with traffic on I-95.

The tach on the 83 also has a purple "overdrive" light where the air pressure warning light went on the earlier GL1100s, which is pretty nice at night. You'll see that soon enough - unless you disconnect the hookup or there's something amiss.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

Yesterday was paint day in spite of high winds (20+). I was able to block the wind and the paint turned out OK. Wouldn't win any contests but looks fine to me. If you can paint one of these frames without missing anything or getting runs it will pass inspection. Today I started reassembly. Still a lot of cleaning and painting of misc. components but it's a milestone when you start putting the stuff you took off back on. dancr
Attachments
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 794 times
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (109.58 KiB) Viewed 794 times
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg (113.63 KiB) Viewed 794 times
image7.jpeg
image7.jpeg (105.99 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Bikes at present:

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

:popcornx2
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

"It's a milestone when you start putting the stuff you took off back on." dancr

True dat …

Gord action1 anim-cheers1 action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

yeah, but if only I can remenber... what were we talking about?
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

rcmatt007 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:14 pm yeah, but if only I can remenber... what were we talking about?
If I can't remember where the part came from I either throw it away or paint it black and bolt it on wherever it will fit. :IDTS:
that is happening more and more.
Bikes at present:

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

What was frustrating was putting on and taking off the shelter frame multiple tomes
-Rodger-
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

rcmatt007 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:33 pm What was frustrating was putting on and taking off the shelter frame multiple tomes
That is one advantage for the 1100! All you have to do is figure out how to hold your mouth when you twist the shelter just a few degrees clockwise before lifting.
Bikes at present:

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I got really good at removing and putting back the five bolts
-Rodger-