Dumb front brake question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Dumb front brake question

Post by wolf_walker78 »

On my 79, did a brake refresh a year or so and very few miles ago using an aftermarket master cylinder and new pistons and seals in the calipers, seemed okay what little it's been ridden. Put new pads and stainless lines on it few months ago and a test ride to bed the pads it seemed fine. Took it out the other day and could barely push the thing, jacked it up and the front wheel couldn't be turned by hand, opening bleeders changed nothing but loosening the left caliper mount bolts did.
Sticking caliper, cool. Pulled them both, disassembled and cleaned thoroughly including the seal groove, pistons looks way better than they should for it's age so I assume I replaced them, did a very light hone of the cylinders and it all looked fine to me. I've done this junk on cars since I was a kid, looks like mostly same-same. Anyway, back together, bled fine, good lever, it's freezing again so haven't ridden it but the wheel is pretty stiff. I can turn it with one hand but it's certainly not moving after I stop turning it. Is that normal for these or are the pistons not retracting correctly? It's not a hydraulic issue so it's got to be the seal one way or another, unless a stiff wheel is normal? I know "stiff" is pretty ambiguous. If it was a car I wouldn't think too much of it to be honest but I figured I'd ask. It might clear up after riding, or not.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Dumb front brake question

Post by gltriker »

I might be able to give you a little assistance with this conundrum.
I sorely wish now I had taken pictures to present why my '75 GL1000 front brakes were acting exactly the same. :(

The front caliper assembly is mounted onto its cast aluminum bracket with 2 hex socket screws that thread into their respective caliper slider pin. At the female threaded end of the slider pin that contacts the aluminum bracket, there are flats machined on either side that index against a flat edge on the mounting bracket to prevent the slider pin from rotating when the hex socket screws are being tightened.
I went round and round trying to figure out why, after replacing the original 1975 brake hoses, rebuilding both calipers, and the front master cyinder- all 3 several times each .

Finally, I discovered one of the slider pins had rotated just enough while tightening its hex socket screw that the slider pin and aluminum bracket complementing anti-rotation flats were no longer aligned and that slider pin flat edge had left a slightly elevated imprint on the aluminum bracket.
anyways...
Take both aluminum caliper mounting brackets off their respective fork lowers and inspect their slider pin anti-rotation flat edges.
Last edited by gltriker on Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

Thanks Cliff, I made that exact mistake the first time I had these apart :)
I lubed the pins and made sure they seated to the caliper mating point correctly this time.
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

Pulled the calipers back off this evening. With either one removed the wheel rotates more like what I'd expect, though granted my expectation is not based off any bike experience. I did notice a little metal folded over on one of the caliper mounting surfaces from some previous owner doing exactly what Cliff said and not having the pin aligned correctly. I cleaned that up and replaced one bolt I suspect was bent slightly in the same occurrence. Made no difference in what it takes to rotate the wheel. I opened the bleeder on each caliper with it detached and the piston pushed back in by hand, I gently operated the lever and observed the piston pulsing out and in very slightly just as I'd expect.

In the absence of a point of reference for how much drag is too much, I'm stumped. The only other thing I know to do is order fresh seal kits and do some dremel brush in the seal channel and try em again. If it ever quits raining and/or being 30 degrees again I'll test ride it first and see how they settle in.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

My service manual does not mention any of that. Where can I find it?

I did give a quick look and the disks seem to be fairly well centered, certainly aren't rubbing.
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

Seal kits in monday, in theory.

Did take a brief test ride, front brake feels strong but it's still pretty stiff when spinning up in the air.
The rear is about half as stiff, it feels like the front if you remove one (either) caliper lol...

I dunno, I'll rebuild the calipers again and see what it does. Seems like a lot of opportunity for small alignment error up there with the forks and wheel and caliper carrier position. It's not impossible the pads will wear in over time either I guess. I don't think I've done front brakes on a bike that weren't either drums or my dirtbikes single disk almost 30 years ago.

I also learned a new thing in the course of google'ing around about such. I was taught to just lube the piston and seal with brake fluid (which isn't a very good lubricant) but there exist a "red rubber grease" that is specifically safe for rubber and not harmful if it mixes with brake fluid. At least one of the major brake manufacturers has a part number for and recommends it. I ordered a little tub of it.
I notice the Honda service manual says "Lubricate the piston with a medium grade high temperature silicone grease before assembly" which they spec for the slide pins as well which is interesting.
Was the brake fluid originally silicone based in these? Far as I know glycol and silicone don't play nice together?
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

wolf_walker78 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:47 pm
Was the brake fluid originally silicone based in these?

No
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I've used silicone grease on brake pistons for decades and it hasn't caused any problems that I've noticed.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:31 am I've used silicone grease on brake pistons for decades and it hasn't caused any problems that I've noticed.
You aren't the only one from what I see. I have a hard time believing Honda would suggest something that wrong so I suspect it's just fine.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

FWIW, I learned it from a Suzuki manual so Honda aren't the only ones.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

I don't think that silicone fluid is bad for the glycol, it's that it just doesn't mix. The miniscule amount of silicone grease on the surface of the seal is not going to affect anything.
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

Whelp, this is annoying.

When this first happened, the first thing I did was crack both bleeders to see if it was a residual pressure issue, it wasn't.
At least not then. Today when pulling the caliper to re-re rebuild them, I pulled both the lines, little fluid drippled out, and I noticed the wheel was suddenly free spinning. Great.
I re-re-rebuilt the calipers anyway since I had the seals handy, bled em, same result.

I ordered (another) master cylinder. I may pull this one apart since it has no use on it and clean fluid and see if I can just clean it up. Or I might just wait for the replacement to show up. Annoying that nobody has anything one can get quickly.

Least I know the calipers are fine now. Several times over.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Check the master cylinder's relief hole.
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

That's what I assume it is, it's as spotless inside the reservoir as the day it was installed so it's some crud inside it.